Krider, John H.—Philadelphia, Pa. Began about 1820 and found at the corner of Second and Walnut Streets in 1826 and continued in the same place i860 or later. Exhibited guns and pistols at International Exhibition in 1876.
Krtteger, H.—Gunmaker at 10 South Second St., Minneapolis, Minn., 1877-80.
Kryter, Charles A.—Produced or assembled a few shotguns, 115 Market St., Wheeling, W. Va., 1872-76.
Kunz, J.—Produced flintlock rifles and pistols at Philadelphia, Pa., about 1840.
Kunkle—Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1810-14. • Offered 3,000 muskets of his make to Committee of Defense on August 30, 1814. These arms bore his name upon the lockplate and were offered at $14.50 each.
La Fevre, Philip—Gunsmith of Lancaster County, Pa. Born in Esopus, New York, about 1708, the son of Tsaac and Catherine La Fevre. The family migrated to Pequa Valley, Lancaster County, in 1712. Philip was active 1731-66.
Lake Erie Chemical Co.—Now U. S. Ordnance Engineers, Inc., makers of gas guns and grenades. 5806 Hough Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio.
Landers, Frary & Clark—New Britain, Conn. Produced bayonets and trench, knives 1917-19. Active to date.
Lamberson & Furman—Windsor, Vermont. Contractors to the U. S. for Model 1841 muskets. Produced Minie rifles and gun machinery for Great Britain during the Crimean War. Active 1849-58, before and after.
Lamson, Goodnow & Yale—Windsor, Vt.; Shclburn Falls, Mass.; New York City. Contractors to the government during the Civil War.
On July 11, 1861, secured contract for 25,000 rifled Springfield muskets and a second contract on October 7, 1861, for 25,000 additional. Prior to July 30, 1863, had delivered 50,019 muskets which were marked "L. G. & Y."
Lamson, E. G.; Lamson & Co.—Windsor, Vt. Produced Hall, Palmer and other arms during the Civil War. The Palmer was the first metallic cartridge, bolt-action arm to be used by the U. S. Patent of William R. Pahner of New York, December 22, 1863, 1,000 were delivered to the government before the end of the war.
Lamson exhibited two arms at the International Exposition at London, 1851. He also designed a conversion, muzzle-loading to breech-loading which failed in the government trials of 1867.
Lane & Read—Gunmakcrs of Boston, Mass., 1826-35. (William Read.)
Lawrence, Richard S.—Associated with Kendall & Lawrence and Rob-bins, Kendall & Lawrence from 1842 until 1852, Became master armourer to Sharp's Rifle Mfg. Co., Ilartford, Conn. He remained in this last connection until 1864 or later, (pp. 745-46, Bishop's "History of American Manufacturers," Philadelphia, 1864.)
Lawrence, William—Riflemaker of Milford, Mass., 1857-68.
Lawser, William H.; Lawser & Bro.—430 Market St., Harrisburg, Pa. Riflemaker active from 1852 to 1876, before and after.
Lawton, Thomas—Gunsmith of Baltimore. Active 183i or before he was employed by the Patent Arms Co., Paterson, N. J., 1836-37, as the first foreman.
Layendecker, George—Gunsmith of Allentown, Pa., 1774-80. Employed at the State Gun Factory while it was located here.
Leather, Jacob—or Lether. Gunsmith of York County, Pa. Active 1779-83, doubtful as to production. See Lether & Co.
Leatherman, Fred—Made rifles at Dayton, Ohio. Active 1862-79.
Leavitt, Daniel—Cabotsville, Mass. Securcd patent on "many chambered fire arm" April 29, 1837. The Leavitt was produced by Wesson, Stevens & Miller of Hartford, Conn., about 1839-40. Sometimes referred io as the Wesson & Leavitt. The cylinder slides off for loading, after the barrel has been released and raised. Cylinder turns to right or left by hand.
Lechler, Henry—Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa., 1848-57.
Lee Arms Co.—Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Made a few Lee "Red Jacket" revolvers.
Lee Fire Arms Co.—Bridgeport, Conn, Produced the arms of James Paris Lee. Made 300 I^ee magazine rifles for U. S. Navy in 1880. Patent of November 4, 1879.
Lee, James Paris—Born in Scotland, August 9, 1831. Died at Short Beach, Conn., February 24, 1904.
Lee's magazine rifles, patent of November 4. 1879, with central magazine, is the model upon which, with but few exceptions, all military rifles are based. It was used by the Navy from 1896 to T90T. His falling-block rifle, patent of 1875, was produced at Springfield Armory and used in the service 1876-79.
His arms were produced by Lcc Fire Arms Co., Bridgeport, Conn.; Winchester (who received the contract to make the first 10,000 "straight pull" magazine rifles, Model of 1895.) Remington and Springfield Arsenal. His developments wefe embodied in the Remington-Lee, Lee-Navy, Lee-Speed, Lee-Enfield, Lee-Met ford and Spcnccr-Lcc.
Leech & Rigdon—Confederate gunsmiths at Atlanta, Ga., 1862-64.
Was this article helpful?