Sweitzer - Ohio 1850 Rifle Maker

Ruppert, William—Gunsmith of Lancaster, Penna., about 1776.

Rupertus Pat'd Pistol Mfg. Co.—Philadelphia, Pa. Produced Jacob Rupert us' patent pistols and revolvers. Active 1858-76, before and after.

Made a 4-shot pepperbox like the Sharps and a double barrel pistol which turns to the left for loading. A movable firing pin regulates the discharge of either barrel.

Rush, William—Gunmaker in High Street Ward, Phila., Pa. Active 1769-71.

Russell & Co., J.—Green River Works. Produced fine Bowie knives about 1855-60.

Ryan, Thomas—Revolver manufacturer at Norwich, Conn., 1893.

Sage, T. C.—Cartridge manufacturer at Middletovvn, Conn., period of the Civil War.

Salisbury Center Forge, S. B. Moore & Co.—Salisbury Center, Litchfield County, Conn. Active 1848-64 producing cannon and musket barrels. (Pg. 150, "Iron Manufacturers Guide," Lesley, N. Y.

Salisbury Furnace—Salisbury, Conn. Built in 1762 and sold by the original builder to Richard Smith of Hartford in 1768. Smith was located in Boston at the dawn of the Revolution. On January 17th, 1776 the Council of Safety ordered "the foundry, furnace lands and ore t>eds on the estate of Richard Smith, late of Boston, now gone to the enemy," taken over.

War Knife Long Length

1. English (Sheffield) knife carried by a Southern soldier during the Civil War.

2. Philadelphia knife carried across the plains in 1857.

3. Made by C. Wnctenhulm & Son, Green River Works. In use in Kansas in 18o3.

4. American (?) knife of the Bowie pattern, period of the Civil War. Average length 13J4 inches.

1. English (Sheffield) knife carried by a Southern soldier during the Civil War.

2. Philadelphia knife carried across the plains in 1857.

3. Made by C. Wnctenhulm & Son, Green River Works. In use in Kansas in 18o3.

4. American (?) knife of the Bowie pattern, period of the Civil War. Average length 13J4 inches.

Following the seizure of the property the Council appointed ^ Lemuel Bryant, cannon founder, David Carver, Zebulon White and David Oldman, moulders. This was on the 16th day of February, 1776 and on the 18th day of March following, Colonel Porter was appointed Overseer.

Production began immediately: cannon in 3, 4, 6, 9, 18-pounder size were supplied as was cannon shot and hand grenades. On April 7th, 1779 the Council offered the property for private lease and it was taken over by Wm. Whiting.

Following the Revolution, cannon were produced in sizes from 4 to 18-pounders for the Navy. In 1798 the lease was held by Stephen Higginson & Co. Activities continued through the War of 1812, the furnace being abandoned in 1830.

(Cf. Pg. 129, "History of Iron," Swank, Philadelphia. Records of the State of Connecticut, Hoadley, Hartford, 1890. Vol. I, pg. 23; Vol. II, pg. 248; Vol. XV, pgs. 242-249.)

Sample», Bethuet—Riflemaker of Urbana, Champaign County, Ohio. First mentioned in 1818 and active until 1854. Produced Kentucky rifles.

San Francisco Arms Co.—San Francisco, Calif. Patented an automatic pistol in 1897. May, or may not, have produced the same.

Sargent, C. R.; Sargent & Smith—Riflemakers at Newburyport. Mass., 1859-68, before and after.

Saunderson, E.—Gunmaker of Saint Catherines, Ontario, 1867-75.

Savage, E.—Gunmaker of Middletown, Conn., 1856-59.

Savage Arms Co.—Organized at Utica, N. Y., 1893, to manufacture the rifle designed by Arthur Savage of that city. Incorporated in 1917 and active to date.

During the World War about 12,500 Lewis machine guns were fabricated for the British and Canadian governments priojr to America's entry.

On April 12th, 1917 received LT. S. contract for 1,300 of the same weapons which contract was continued until the number of arms delivered numbered 25,000.

The J. Stevens Arms Co.; Springfield Arms Co., and A. H. Fox Company, are now controlled by Savage. Produce rifles and shotguns and formerly automatic pistols.

Savage Repeating Firearms Co.—Middletown, Conn. Successors to North & Savage. Active through the Civil War.

Produced 25,500 rifled muskets and 11,284 S. North's patent 1856 and 1859 Navy revolvers for the federal government, 1861-65.

Savage & Smith—Gunmakcrs of Middletown, Conn., 1872-75.

Saylor, Jacob—Gunsmith of Bedford County, 1779-83. Worked 011 public arms of State of Pennsylvania as repairman. Active 1790 or later.

S. C.—Mark of ownership of the State of Connecticut found on arms of the Revolution.

SchaefFer, William R.; Schaeffer & Werner—Established 1853 at 11 Dock Square, Boston. The partnership of Schaffer & Werner was in effect about 1860-70.

Schalck, George—Riflemaker, 13 E. Norwegian Street, Pottsville, Pa. Born 1824, developed the system of rifling which bears his name and died in 1892.

Schalck, Chris—Riflemaker of Williamsport, Pa., 1825-75.

Schenkle, J. P.—Riflemaker of Boston, Mass., 1850-54.

Scheaner, William—Riflemaker of Reading, Pa., 1779-90.

Schley, Jacob—Riflemaker to the Maryland Council of Safety, 1776. (American Archives, 5th series, Vol. I #93 )

Schnader, Frank K.—Gun and gun barrel maker of Berks County, Pa. Began as apprentice to Franklin Miller about 1836. In 1839 he obtained possession of the shop of John Keirn. From about 1852* he specialized in the production of barrels. In the 8o's he was supplying such firms as James Brown & Son; Great Western Gun Works; Wr. Wurfflein Gun Co., and others.

Schnaut, T. G.—Gunmaker of Monmouth, New Jersey. Active 1822, died 1838.

Schneeloch, Otto—Rifle and revolver maker, 109 Evven St., Brooklyn, N. Y. Patented a revolver December 31, 1872. Produced heavy target rifles and active from 1868 to 1878 or later.

Schneider & Co.; Schneider & Glaasick—Pistol manufacturers at Memphis, Tenn., 1859 or before. Subsidized by the Confederate government and in operation until the Federal troops took Memphis.

Schneider, F. A.—Rifle barrel maker of Canton, Ohio, 1850-57.

Schneider, Charle* E,—Dayton, Ohio. Successors to M. Schneider. Made or assembled a few shotguns, 1877-83.

Schneider, M.; Schneider & Son—Schneider established in Dayton, Ohio in 1848. In 1866 he was joined by his son—Edward J. and the firm name was changed to indicate the addition. Active until 1877 and succeeded by Charles Schneider. Produced rifles, shotguns and pistols.

Schontz, P. H.—Riñemaker of Canal Fulton, Stark County, Ohio. Active from before i860 to 1865.

Schoener, Henry—Riflemaker 011 the Wyomissing, Reading, Pa., 1850-63.

Schorer, Andrew—Gunsmith of Bethlehem Twp., Lancaster County, Pa., period of the Revolution. Doubtful as to arms production.

Schoyen, George—Rifle barrel maker at New York about 1897-1917. Senior member of the firm of Schoyen & Peterson which was succccdcd upon the death of Schoyen by A. W. Peterson & Son. Peterson carried on after the death of his partner, until about 1932 when he retired from activc practice. His sons continue the business to date, at 1429 Larimer St., Denver, Colo.

Schrapel, Louis—Georgetown, Colorado. Made or assembled a few breech-loading shotguns, 1875-80.

Schreidt, John—Riflemaker of Reading, Pa., 1760-68.

Schryer, George—Gunsmith of Reading, Pa., 1767-68. Doubtful as to production.

Schubarth, Caspar D.—84 Wcybosset St., Providence, R. I. Received the following contracts during the Civil War: October 11, 1861, 20,000 rifled Springfield muskets. November 26, 1861, 30,000 ditto. July 10, 1862, 28,000 ditto.

Delivered but 9,500 arms which some authorities pronounce the finest of the Civil War. Active until 1868 or later.

Schuyler, Hartley & Graham—New York City, 1874-76. See Remington.

Schweitzer, C.—Riflemaker of Canton, Ohio, 1863-66.

Scott Foundry, Reading Iron Works—Reading, Pa. Built in 1854. Became a subsidiary of the American Iron & Steel Company. Produced artillery for the U. S. 1904-05.

Scott & Fetzer Mfg. Co.—Cleveland, Ohio. Produced 7,750 25 mm. Very pistols, Mark IV, in 1918.

Scott, W. J. and R. H.—Riflemakers of Albany, N. Y., 1848-50, before and after.

Seabury & Co., J.—Gunmakers of Southbridge, Mass., 1861. before and after.

Sears & Co., Henry—Shotgun makers of 88-90 Lake Street, Chicago, 111., T874-82.

Secor, O. P.—Peoria, 111., 1867-70, before and after. Made or assembled breech-loading shotguns.

Sedgley & Co., R. F.—2310 N. 16th St., Philadelphia, Pa. Succeeded Henry M. Kolb at the same address, 1897. Active to date, producing Springfield Spotters, tear gas weapons, .22 caliber "Baby Hammerless" revolvers, etc.

Sells, Benjamin—Riflemaker. The Sells family migrated to Ohio from Pennsylvania where the name was given as Selz. Benjamin worked with his brother Michael at Augusta, Kentucky and located for himself at Georgetown, Ohio, in 1835. Active until 1884. A fine workman.

Sells, F. N.—Riflemaker of Laurel, Ohio. Active 1860-85.

Sells, Michael—Riflemaker of Augusta. Bracken County, Kentucky. Elder brother to Benjamin, he was born about 1797, l>egan as a gunsmith in 1827 and active until about i860.

Angered at the determined resistance offered by Sells who opposed their attack, Dick Morgan's Raiders took him prisoner and forced him to accompany them on foot. Sells refused to crack however and was released after several days.

Sensey—Riflemaker of Chambersburg, Pa., 1855, before and after.

Sever, Joseph and Shubabel—The two Severs wTere associated as gunsmiths at- Framingham, Mass. Served the Committee of Safety in 1775 and 011 Jl,ne t2th of the same year they were appointed armourers to the Colony. Active until 1782 or later.

Seward, Benjamin—Gunsmith of Boston, Mass., 1796-1803.

Shakanoosa Arms Mfg. Co.—Produced arms for the Confederate government 1862-64.

Shannon, W. H.—Gunsmiths of Philadelphia, Pa. Secured a government contract in 1808 for muskets "for arming the Militia." A report dated October 7, 1812 indicates they had delivered 1,101 arms.

Sharps, Christian—Inventor of the Sharps breech-loader. Born in New Jersey, 1811. Associated with Sharps Rifle Mfg. Co., Han-ford, Conn.; C. Sharps & Co., Philadelphia, Pa., and Sharps & Hankins of the same city. Married Sarah Chadwick of Chadwick Mills, Mill Creek, where ammunition was produced for the Sharps about 1862-64. Died at Vernon, Conn., March 13, 1874.

Sharps Rifle Mfg. Co.—Hartford, Conn. Established 1851, capital $125,000, J. C. Palmer, president.

On September T2th, 1848, Sharps, then residing in Cincinnati, received a patent for an improved breech-loader. Sharps claimed as his invention "the combination of the sliding breech with the barrel, the breech supporter and the stock, in such a manner as that when the sliding breech is forced down, the breech bore will be exposed as to enable it to receive a cartridge on a line with the bore. When the sliding breech is forced up, it will shear off the rear end of the cartridge so as to expose the powder to the fire communication and will finally and securely close the breech bore." Pie also claimed the invention of the combination of the cat-nipple with the sliding breech.

Soon after the incorporation of the Sharps Rifle Mfg. Co., Richard S. Lawrence of the firm of Robbins & Lawrence took charge of the mechanical department as Master Armourer. No part of the rifle or its appendages were made outside the establishment, most of the tools being designed and executed by Lawrence.

The firm remained active at Hartford until 1871 thence to Bridgeport where it continued until October, 1881.

cf. Pgs. 743-46, Vol. II, "History of American Manufacturers," Bishop, Phila., 1864.

Ptf- 337» "Philadelphia and Its Manufacturers," Edwin Freedlev, Phila., 1858.

The early government contracts were made by, and between the government and John C. Palmer of New York, president of the Sharps Rifle Mfg. Co. These contracts were as follows: April 13, 1856, 400 carbines at $30.00; April 12, 1857, 200 rifles at $26.15; April 12, 1857, 32,000 cartridges at $15.30 per M; November. 1857, 1,400 rifles at $30.00; April 8, 1859, 2,500 carbines at $30.00.

With the mutterings of war in his ears, Palmer probably considered it good business to sell both sides in the coming conflict. He accordingly delivered it6oo carbines at Savannah, Ga., for that state and was given in return $25,000 in state bonds on February 22, 1861. (P. 29, "The Confederate Records of the State of Georgia," Chandler, Vol. TT.)

Sharps & Co., C.—Philadelphia, Pa. "Christian Sharps in association with Nathan H. Bolles and Ira B. Eddy, erected a brick, four-story building, 140 x 140^ at the west end of the wire bridge near Fairmont, in 1858. .

Produced rifles, carbines, 4-barrel pistols and a rare dropping block single-shot pistol, patent of 1848 and 1852.

Sharps & Hank ins—Located on the west bank of the Schuykill River, Philadelphia. Began in i860 and produced Sharps & Hankins sliding breech rifles and carbines, patent of January, 1859. Rifles on this system were supplied the government during the period 1862-72 being used principally by the navy.

Produced Sharps four-barrel pocket pistols in three sizes and remained active until about 1880.

SKattuck Arms Co., C. S.—Hatiicld, Mass. Active from about 1880 to about 191 o. Produced Shattuck revolver, patent of November 4, 1879, No. 10677. The cylinder of this arm swings to the right horizontally to load and eject. Ejection is accomplished by sliding the cylinder forward on; the rod on which it swings.

Produced also a four-barrel pistol to be carried in the hand and fired the four barrels simultaneously, by pressing upward on a slide. Made single shotguns with an extra trigger to break.

Shaw, Albert S.—Riflemaker of Morrow County, Ohio, 1840-51.

Shaw—A Committee of Safety musket maker of Massachusetts, 1775.

Shaw, John—Musket maker and armourer to the State of Maryland, 1780-81.

Shaw, Joshua—Native of Lincolnshire, England, born 1777. Came to America and established in Philadelphia in 1817. Died at Burlington, N. J., in September, i860. Shaw disputed the claim of others on the invention of the percussion cap of copper. He secured a number of patents among which the following are on record: June 24, 1822, "improvement in percussion arms"; March 17, 1834, "a percussion pistol whip"; January 30, 1841, "manner of discharging firearms."

He developed a wafer primer for cannon which was tested and accepted by the U. S. Government. Shaw claimed royalty upon thé use of this primer and in 1848 succeeded in collecting $18,000 of the $25,000 claimed due from the government. (P. 2270, Vol. Ill, p. 1054, Vol. II, "History of Philadelphia," Seharf-Westcott, Philadelphia, 1884.)

Shawk & McLanahan—Made revolvers at Saint Louis, Mo., prior to the Civil War,

Sheble & Fisher—"Frankford Factory," Philadelphia, Pa. Sword cutlers and contractors to the U. S., 1861-64.

Scheffield, Jeremiah-—A Committee of Safety musket maker of Rhode Island, 1775-76.

Sheldon, Nash—Cutler. Shop on the north side of Eight Street, Cincinnati, Ohio. Active 1853-61 and produced Bowie knives of high quality.

Shelly John—Born in Tennessee, 1788, son of Samuel Shell, a gunsmith. John located at Greasy Creek, Leslie County, Kentucky, where he remained until his death in July, 1922, age 134 years. As evidence of the correctness of his age, Shell produced receipts issued him by the sheriff of Gay County in 1809. Shell contended he had attained man's estate at that dale. Produced rifles and a few shotguns.

Shell, Martin—Gunsmith of Dauphin County, Pa. Born 1737, contract musket maker to Provincial Congress during the Revolution and active until 1790.

Shell, Martin Jr.—Rifletnaker of Dauphin County, Pa. Born 1763 and active 1796 or later.

Shepler, Peter—Riflemaker of Clarks, Coshocton County, Ohio. Active 1848-54, before and after.

Sherman, William R.—New Bedford, Mass. Produced breech-loading arms 1862-69.

Sherry, John—Riflemaker of Turkey Run, Clarion County, Pa.,

Was this article helpful?

+1 -1

Responses

  • rebekah
    Where was the christian sharps rifle company in cincinnati ohio?
    3 years ago
  • rasmus
    Who manufactured rifle musket in dayton ohio in the late 1800s?
    1 year ago
  • ritva
    When where the Kentucky, Ohio or Pennsylvania rifle made?
    6 months ago

Post a comment