Palmer Gunsmith Philadelphia

Newton, Charles; Newton Arms Co.—The Newton Arms Company was organized at Buffalo, N. Y. in 1914 and was succeeded in 1919 by the Newton Arms Corp. Charles Newton, perhaps the best known American designer of the time, had earlier developed the 32-40 high-power, the Savage .22 "Hi-Power" and the Savage 25-3000.

Newton, E. M.—Riflemaker of Skowhegan, Maine, 1858-68, before and after.

Newton, Philo S.—Riflemaker of Hartford, Conn., 1843-75. Secured patent on false muzzle, June 1, 1843.

Nichols & Childs—Rufus Nichols and Edward Childs of Conway, Mass., secured a patent on a revolving arm April 24, 1838. Possessed by a seven-shot cylinder operated by a rachet at the base of cylinder. The hammer, an extreme goose-neck type, strikes the caps through an aperture in the lop bar of the. frame. One rifle of this type is known to the writer but the maker is unknown.

Nichols, John A.; Nichols & Lefever—Shotgun makers of Syracuse, N. Y. The partnership extended from 1876 to 1878 after which each partner went his way. Nichols advertised in 1879-80 as the sole maker of the Nichols & Lefever gun.

Nicholson, John—Gunsmith of Dock Ward, Philadelphia, 1774-90, Delivered 28 new muskets to Committee of Public Safety prior to Sept. 11, 1775.

On June 4th, 1776, Nicholson transmitted to the committee of safety at Philadelphia his "Plan for Carrying 011 a Gun Factory" which was as follows:

First.—There must be a convenient place for erecting a Mill for boaring and grinding barrells, to be under the direction of Mr Tomilson, or some other barrell maker. & shops fit to forge barrells in, with three or four forges.

Second.—A Shop to contain three forges for forging Locks, with a good sett of tools to each, and a shop or shops to contain forty lock filers, with a good set of tools to each, suitable to the part of the locks they have to file, with a forge for each ten Lock filers to harden & temper the Springs, mend tools & case harden, &c.

Third.—A shop or shops for ten Gun stockers, with each man a sett of tools.

Fourth.—A Casting Shop & propper tools for a brass founder to Cast the mountings & a shop to finish ditto in.

Fifth.—A Shop with two forges to forge Bayonets and Steel Ramrods & works erected at the Mill for polishing and grinding ditto.

Sixth.—A forge for making Swivals. trickers, Pins & Springs for the ramrods, &c.

Seventh.—A Small Shop for putting the Guns together in. near the Stocking Shop.

N. B.—It will be necessary to get all the files & Brass that can be got, as them articles are become very scarce, and to provide a file cutter to cut the files over Again. It will be likewise Necessary to have a Clark that Understands Something of the hardware business, in order to provide things as they may be needed.

Nicholson also signified his willingness to take charge of the factory at "threehundred pounds per Year with a convenient Dwelling house for myself & Family, & Five Pounds for every hundred Guns made under my Inspection."

Nippes, Daniel—Mill Creek and Philadelphia, Pa. 1808-48. Mill Creek runs in an arc from its sourcc at Bryn Mawr to Shawmont, on the west shore of the Schuykill River where it discharges into the river.

On June 20, r8o8, Winner, Nippes & Co. received government contract for 9,000 muskets. By October 7, 1812 had delivered. The writer believes the Nippes referred to in this contract to have been Daniel Nippes. On February 11, 1814. Mayweg & Nippes received a contract for 2,000 cutlasses at $3.00. Their location was given as Philadelphia.

Sometime in the 30's Nippes appears to have taken over the Rose Glen Mill on Mill Creek. William Booth of Narberth, Pa., who married into the Nippes family and later operated the mill himself, claims this as the Nippes Mill.

During the period March 9, 1939 to January 1, 1846, the government purchased 4,000 muskets from Nippes at $14.75. On March 3, 1846 contracted for 1,600 additional muskets at $14.75. Nippes altered 2,000 muskets to the Maynard system and supplied 1,000 cones at ioj4c each.

Noble Bros, & Co.—Floyd County, Georgia. Cannon founders to the Confederacy, 1861-63.

Noble & Son—Rome, Georgia. Produced 3-inch guns for the Confederacy, 1863.

Noggle, Washington—Riflemaker of New Burlington, Clinton County, 1848-55. .

Norman, William—Gunmaker of Brooklyn, N. Y. 1855-75.

Norris, Samuel; Norris & Clement—Samuel Norris and W. T. Clement were active 1862-65 at Springfield, Mass. Produced Model 1863 muskets which are marked "S. N. & W. T. C. for Mass." Norris continued 1866-69.

Norris, William—Riflemaker of Brown County, Ohio. 184T-54.

North American Arms Co.—Producing pistols in the old Ross plant, Quebec, P. Q. 1918-19.

North, Chase & North—Located in the "lower part of the city," Philadelphia, Pa. Produced cannon, shot and shells, 1861-65.

North & Cheney—Berlin, Conn. A brief partnership of Simeon North and his brother-in-law Elisha Cheney. Produced pistols like French Model 1777, in 1794.

Noroth & Savage—Middletown, Conn. Pistols, rifles and revolvers. Active from 1844 until i860 when the Savage Repeating Firearms Co. was formed.

On July 30, 1844 received patent which gave the inventors as E. Savage and S. North. Subsequent patents from 1850 to i860 are granted to E. Savage and II. S. North.

Produced a six-shot revolving rifle in which the trigger guard cocks the piece and indexes the cylinder, patent of January 18, 1859, #22,666.

Produced S. North's patent 1856 and 1859 revolvers which later were produced by Savage Repeating Firearms Company as the Savage Navy Revolver. During the period 1861-65 the government purchased 11,284 of these arms from Savage.

Also produced a trap pistol, the patent of North & Couch, June 28, 1859.

North, Simeon—Born at Berlin, Conn., July 13, 1765. It is claimed that he was the first official pistol maker to the United States.

The earliest existing contract between North and the government is dated March 9, 1799 and provides for the production of 500 horse pistols at $6.50 each, deliveries within one year. Other contracts were as follows:

February 6, 1800, 1,500 horse pistols at $6.00, five years. June 30, 1808, 2,000 boarding pistols $11.75 per pair. December 4, 1810, 1,000 same. April 16, 1813, 20,000 pistols, $7.00, five years.

North began the erection of a larger plant in 1813 and placed his son Reuben in charge of the old shop at Berlin. The Berlin ' shop remained in operation until 1843. After the completion of his new shop at Middletown, Colonel North sought and secured the following contracts:

December 10, 1823, 6,000 rifles at $14.00, five years.

November 16, 1826, 1,000 Navy pistols, $7.00.

December 15, 1828, 5,000 Hall's breech-loading flintlock rifles complete with bayonet at $17.50. 1833, 1,000 carbines for dragoons at $20.00. January 27, 1835, 4,000 rifles.

November 23, 1835, carbines, the number not shown. . anuary 6, 1836, same.

June 20, 1836, 2,500 carbines, $18.00, with bayonets.

Several additions were made to this contract which wras increased by 8,000 more arms. The last addition is dated February 5, 1850 and was the last received by Colonel North from the government.

After more than half a century of service to his country, Colonel North died in 1852.

("Simeon North, First Official Pistol Maker to the United States" S. N. D. and Ralph North, Concord, N. H., 1913.)

North, Henry S.—Of the firm of North & Savage, Middletown, Conn., active 1844-60, before and after. Received the following patents:

January 5, 1847, breech-loading mechanism.

June 17, 1856, revolver.

April 6, 1858, revolver.

January 18, 1859, revolver.

North Wayne Tool Co.—North Wayne and Oakland, Maine. Established 1835, incorporated 1879, active to date. Produced swords during the Civil War and after.

Northwestern Ordnance Co.—Madison, Wisconsin. Established 1917. Produced four 4.7-inch guns in 1918. Now defunct.

Norwich Arms Co.—Norwich, Conn. Produced 25,000 muskets during the Civil War. Quit 1866.

Nunnemaker, Abraham—Gunsmith of York County, Pa., i779_^3-

Nutt, Rollm—Riflemaker of Eagleville, Ashtabula County, Ohio. 1848-54.

Nutting, Ebenezer—Gunsmith of Falmouth, Maine. Working on public arms in 1724-25 being "detained by His Excellency, the Governor." Probably repairs only. .

Oakes, Samuel—Riflemaker of Philadelphia, about 1800.

Oberholser, Christian-—A Committee of Safety gunsmith of Lancaster, Pa., 1775-76.

Oblinger, David and Walter—Gunmakers of Piqua, Ohio. Father and son, David was active 1859 to 1890 when the firm name became Oblinger & Son. Active 1892 or later as repairmen.

Oblinger, Sol—Gunmaker of Troy, Ohio, 1868-77.

Old, James—Ironmaster. Supplied Pennsylvania with cannon and shot in 1776. Received -£1,500 for his services. Location unknown.

Ong, E.—Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1773-77. Employed by Peter DeHaven at the State Gun Factory, 1776.

Qrr, Hugh—Horn January 13, 1717, at Lochinwinioch, Scotland. Came to America and established in Rridgewater, Mass., in 1737. In 1745 he made 500 stand of arms for the Province of Massachusetts Bay, believed to be the first public firearms produced in the colonies.

Orr also erected a cannon foundry which supplied iron and brass cannon to the Continentals in sizes from 3-pounders to 42-pounders. Very active during the Revolution, Orr died in 1798. (Pg. 487, Vol. II, National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, White, New York, 1929.)

Orr, James—Born July 22, 1796, in Westmoreland County, Pa. Established in Belmont County, Ohio in 1830. Engaged in riflemaking until i860 when he quite in favor of a more profitable business of wagon making. Died in September, 1887. A fine workman in metal and wood, his rifles were of high quality.

Orr, Robert—Son of Hugh. Worked with his father in Bridgewater during the Revolution and became Master Armourer of Springfield Arsenal in 1795.

Osborne, H.—Riflemaker of Springfield, Mass., about 1820-30.

Osborn, Lot—Gunsmith of Waterbury, Conn. Active 1772-77 he produced muskets for the state which bore his name or initials and the stamp "S. C." for the State of Connecticut.

Osgood Gun Works—Norwich, Conn. Produced the "Duplex" double barrel, nine shot revolver. This arm is on the principle of the Le Mat save that the barrels are hinged at the bottom of the frame to swing up to load.

Ostrander Repeating Gun Co.—San Francisco, Calif. Made repeating shotguns, 1892-93

Oswan, Frederick—Riflemaker. Harpers Ferry, Va., 1810-16.

Owen Bros.; Owen, Robert G.—Modern gunmakers at Sanquoit, N. Y., 1921-23. Robert G. Owen located at Tucson, Arizona for a time and is now with Winchester.

Owens, E. G.—Gunmaker of Denver, Colo., 1877-80, before and after.

P; P. P.—On October 27, 1775, Robert Towers, an employee of the Pennsylvania state gun factory, was ordered to stamp all muskets produced and proved in the city of Philadelphia with the letter P.

Pachmayr, Frank A.—1220-24 South Grand Ave., Los Angeles, Calif. Active 1918 or before, to date. Son of August Pachmayr who, for fifty years, maintained a fine reputation for the excellence of his work.

Pachard, William M.—Riflemaker of Elyria, Ohio. Shop on the east side of the Public Square and active 1854 to 1862.

Pacific Arms Corp.—Box 427, San Francisco, Calif. Active from 1926 to date. According to their ads they produce machine guns, light artillery, rifles, pistols and military equipment.

Page, John—Preston, Conn. He was employed by the state in 1776-77 producing muskets. These arms were ordered stamped with the maker's name or initials and "S. C." for the State of Connecticut.

Page-Lewis Arms Co.—Chicopee Falls, Mass. Active about 1920. Now a subsidiary of Stevens Arms Co.

Palmer, H, F.—Riflemaker of Maiden Lane, Adrian, Mich., 1862-67, before and after.

Palmer, J.—Riflemaker of St. Catherine's, Ontario, 1867-75, before and after.

Palmer, J. C.—President of Sharps Rifle Mfg. Co., Hartford, Conn., 1851-63. A number of government contracts were made to Palmer as representative of the firm. See Sharps R. M. Co.

Palmer, Thomas—Gunsmith of Philadelphia, T772-76. On July 6th, 1776 the Council of Safety ordered him to deliver the "rifles by him made" to Robert Tower at Philadelphia for proof-test, 17 being subsequently delivered on July 16th. (Pgs. 648, 653, Colonial Records of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, Vol. X.)

Palmer, William R.—Patent was granted Palmer on a breech-loading arm, December 22, 1863. The first bolt action, metallic cartridge arm to be used in the U. S. service, it was produced by E. G. Lam-son & Company at Windsor, Vermont and supplied the government in 1864.

Palmer exhibited two rifles at the International Exposition, London, 1851.

Palm, Jacob—Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa., 1759» thence to Esopus, New York in 1768.

Palmetto Armory—A state owned gun factory established at Columbia, South Carolina in 1852. The equipment of the shop of Asa Waters at Millbury, Mass., was purchased and installed by the firm of Boatwright & Glaze. William Glaze operated during the Civil War and marked the arms produced here "Palmetto Armory0.

Pannabecker, Jefferson—Gunsmith of Hopeland, Lancaster County, Pa., about 1790-1810.

Pannabecker, Jesse—Bought the mill of Michael Shepler, the fuller, on Middle Creek in 1833. James Pannabecker was associated with him as a partner. Continued until 1861 or later.

Pannabecker, John—Brother of Jefferson. Active at Adamstown, Lancaster County, 1836-66, before and after.

Pannabecker, William—Gunsmith of Mohntown, Berks County, Pa., about 1800-38.

Pannabecker, William Jr.—Son of the above. Born Mohntown, Pa., 1818. Succeeded his father about 1845. Moved to Trenton, N. J. where he is found in 1860-65 but returned to Mohntown where he died in 1880.

Park, Horace—Shotgun maker of Columbus, Ohio. Active 1878-93. Entered into a number of partnerships, Park & Graber, 1886-88; Park & Irvin, 1889-93 i Park & McLeish, 1878-80.

Park, John—Gunmaker of Williamsburg, Clermont County, Ohio. 1878-82.

Parker, Charles; Parker, Snow, Brooks & Co.; Parker Bros.—In 1832 Charles Parker founded the Parker Company to manufacture cof-fec mills. About 1842 began the manufacture of vises. In i860 the firm became the Parker, Snow, Brooks & Co., and at the beginning of the Civil War the production of muskets for the government began.

During the period 1865-68 Charles Parker was president of the Meriden Mfg. Co. In 1868 the firm of Parker Brothers was formed, the three members being Wilbur, Charles and Dexter, sons of the founder.

The first shotgun was made in 1868 and was known as the "Parker Brothers." This was a hammer gun with a lifter bolting mechanism. The fore-end fastened to the barrels by a key through a hole in the loop. In 1879 an improved fore-end was adopted based upon (he Deeley & Edge type, which is used upon Parker guns at the present time.

On June 1, 1934 the Parker Brothers Company was taken over by the Remington Arms Company. The present line includes thirteen models ranging from the A-i Special ($800.00 to $900.00) to the Trojan ($60.00 to $90.00).

Parkhill, Andrew—Riflemaker of Dock Ward, Philadelphia, Pa.,

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment