Jacob Truby Gunsmith

Thompson, John—Riflemaker of Philadelphia, about 1800.

Thompson, Samuel—Riflemaker of Columbus, Ohio, 1820-22, before and after. In 1822 he employed two hands.

Three-Barrel Gun Co.—Moundsville, W. Va. Manufactured three barrel shotguns, 1907-08. Short lived. The same outfit that operated at Wheeling, YY. Va., as the Royal Gun Co., and Hollenbeck Gun Co.

Thurman, C.—Riflemaker of Larimor, Iowa, active 1879-85. Produced heavy target rifles.

Titherington, George—Noted rifle-barrel maker. 1321 S. American Street, Stockton, Calif. He produced the barrel with which John B. Adams of San Diego, Calif., won the world's record at Bislev, England, in 1932. Active to date.

Todd, George—A Confederate gunsmith at Austin, Texas. Active 1857, or before, to 1864.

Tomes, Henry & Co.—Gunmakers of New York City, 1847, before and after.

Tomlinson, Joshua—Musket-barrel maker to the Pennsylvania council of safety, 1775-76.

Titusville Forge Co.—Titusville, Pa., Naval gun forgings, 1902-25.

Tonks, Joseph—Riflemaker of Boston, Mass. From 1854 to 1857 his shop was in the rear of 37 Union Street thence to 49 Union in 1857 and continued until 1869 or later. Alfred Tonks, a relative of Joseph, patented a gun-lock, January 13, 1857, # 16411.

Torkelson Mfg. Co.—Warren, Mass. Manufactured the "New Worcester" hammerless shotguns, 1903-08 and probably before and after.

Town, Benjamin—A Committee of Safety musket maker. In 1775 he contracted to make 200 muskets at ¿4:5s each. (Probably of Philadelphia.)

Townsend, Peter—The furnace of Ward & Col ton (built 1751) and the forge of Abel Nobel (built 1752) both of Orange County, N. Y., fell into the hands of Townsend prior to the Revolution. These became known as the Sterling Iron Works.

In addition the iron cannon and shot, the anchors for the frigate "Constitution" and the enormous iron chain which was suspended across the Hudson River in 1778, were produced here. This chain weighed 180 tons and was placed across the river to prevent the passage of British vessels up the Hudson.

Peter, the elder, died in 1783 and was succeeded by Peter, Jr. During the War of 1812, cannon, howitzers and carronades were produced.

Treadweil, Daniel—Cambridge, Mass. In 1841, Treadwell brought out cannon formed of rings or short tubes of wrought iron. These were joined together, end to end, and welded. A sccond larger scries was placed over the smaller and the gun was built up in this manner.

These arms were tested by both the army and navy in 1846 and the ordnance board recommended batteries of 6-pounders and 12-pounder guns and of 12-poundcr and 24-pounder howitzers. These were subsequently approved by the Secretary of War in 1847, and produced. ("Gun Making in the United States," Rogers Birmie, Jr., Washington, 1887.)

Tredegar Iron Works—Established in January, 1838, at Richmond, Va. During the Civil War produced 7-inch Brooks guns for the Confederate government in addition to other ordnance items. Produced projectiles in World War. Tredegar Co., since 1867.

Trenton Arms Co.—Trenton, N. J. Arms manufacturers, 1863-65.

Trenton Wiard Ordnance Co.—Trenton, N. J. Produced cannon developed by Norman Wriard, 1862-73.

Trout, John—Riflemaker of Williamsport, Pa., 1855-75.

Truby, Jacob—Riflemaker of German, Darke County, Ohio. Active 1859-61.

Tryon& Getz—Philadelphia, 1811 only. (George W. Tryon.)

Tryon, George W.—Bora 1791, the grandson of a French Hugenot who sailed for America in 1773. George was apprenticed to Getz and in 1811, when but twenty- years of age, became the partner of his employer.

In 1813, Joseph G. Chambers of West Middletown, Pa., received a patent on "repeating gunnery" that "could be discharged in such a manner that by a single operation of the trigger it would discharge several loads in succession (six or eight), with a space between each sufficient to aim."

Secretary of the Navy, William Jones, directed George Harrison, Navy Agent at Philadelphia, to contract with reliable parties for the construction of 50 repeating swivels and 200 repeating muskets. On February 16, 1814, Harrison placed a contract for the entire amount of arms with Tryon and John Joseph Henry, who jointly agreed to produce them for $6,600, the muskets costing $23.00 each.

On May 4, 1832, received contract for Indian guns, 550 at $12.50 or $6,895.50. Received a second contract on March 19, 1833, for 510 likewise at $12.50.

Contracted with the Republic of Texas for 1.500 army muskets on April 3, 1840. The Department of the Interior, through the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, placed a contract for "Northwest" or Indian guns on January 13, 1841, which was continued for fifteen years.

George W. Tryon died in 1878. His son and successor, George, Jr., died in 1888. Edward K. Tryon, the third to control the business, died in 1892, and his son and succcssor, Edward K. Tryon, Jr., in 1904.

The firm continues to date.

Was this article helpful?

0 0

Post a comment