Lovell John P Grover Lovell Lovell Sons Lovell Arms Co

J. P.—John P. Lovell established in 1840. From 1841 to 1844 in partnership as Grover & Lovell. Operated alone at 27 Dock Square, upstairs, until the early 7o's to become the John P. Lovell & Sons. Exhibited at Philadelphia in 1876. Later located at 147 Washington Street as J. P. Lovell Arms Co., shotgun manufacturers. Continued to 1891 and after.

Made the double-action revolver of Capt. Eben Swift, 5th U. S. Cavalry.

Lowe, William V.—Gunsmith who worked at Fitchburg, Winchester and Woburn, Mass., 1875-95.

Lowell Arms Co.—Willey St., Lowell, Mass. Capital $100,000. Produced J. V. Meig's patent May, 1866, carbines which were submitted to government experiment of 1868.

Lower, John P.—Born 1833 and established in Philadelphia in 1851. In the 60's he produced revolvers and Indian guns. To Denver, Colo., in 1872. Died 1915 and succeeded by his sons who continued to 1919 or later as J. P, Lower's Sons.

Lowery, David—Musket maker of Wethersfield, Conn., 1774-77. Employed by the state 1776-77 his arms were ordered stamped S. C. for State of Connecticut.

Loxley, Benjamin; Loxley Furnace—The Provincial Council of Pennsylvania in meeting on August 4, 1775, resolved "that Morgan Bustead, Cast and Deliver to this Committee, Two Howitzers, agreeable to the draft offered by him to this Board." A notation on the minutes of the meeting of March 1, 1776, states 'Morgan Bustead, not having performed any part of his con-

tract for the casting of cannon, is to be prosecuted for damages."

The Committee subsequently "ordered Capt. Loxley and Daniel King to take immediate possession of Bustead's Air Furnace for the public use and this Committee will be answerable to said Bustead." However, the worthy gentleman failed to reckon with the eternal feminine for an entry in the memorandum book of the committee at Philadelphia states "Bustead Sister, the vixen, refuses Captain Loxley admittance to the Furnace" and asks, "What's to be done?"

What course the gallant captain pursued is not known but it was notj until the 7th of August, following, that the lady was appeased and admittance gained.

Production was soon thereafter begun to continue through the war.

cf. p. 298, Minutes of Provincial Council of Pennsylvania, Vol. X, Iiarrisburg, 1852; p. 641, Vol. XI also. American Archives, Fourth Series, Vol. V, 1776, No. 717.

Lurch, David and Joseph—Operated in separate gunshops, New York City, 1869-75. Produced rifles and combination spring and air-guns.

Lydick, Peter—Baltimore, Md., 1773-79. Contract musket maker to Council of Safety. On February 7, 1776, 72 muskets of his manufacture were subjected to proof-test, 64 passing, 8 being rejected. (Several rcfcrcnccs—"Archives of Maryland," Browne, Baltimore, 1893. Vols. XVI, XXL)

Maltby, Henly & Co.—New York. Patent a double-action, 5 shot revolver in 1888. Made with one-piece brass barrel and frame.

Was this article helpful?

0 -1

Post a comment