Robinson, Edward—New York, N. Y. Secured the following government contracts during the Civil War: June 10, 1863, 20,000 rifled Springfield muskets. December 29, 1863, 5,000 same. February 23, 1864, 15,000 same. October 4, 1864, 7,000 same.
Prior to May 8, 1865 had delivered 30,000 muskets for which he received $558,733.20.
Robinson Arms Manufactory—Richmond, Va. S. G. Robinson. Produced Confederate Sharps in 1862. Exact copy of the original Sharps except the brass butt-plate and barrel-bands. Probably produced as many as one thousand of these arms.
Robinson, W. S.—Riflemaker of Mount Clemens, Michigan. Active 1857-67, before and after.
Roby, C.—Sword cutler of North Chelmsford, Mass. Produced cavalry sabers for the government 1863-65.
Rochester Gun Co.—Rochester, N. Y. Gun manufacturers 1919-21.
Rock Island Arsenal—Rock Island, 111. A government arms factory from 1843 to date. Here the design and limited production of artillery material, gun carriages, limbers, caissons, tanks and tractors is carried on; There are also facilities for the production and repair of small arms. The arsenal has a nominal land value of $4,000,000; buildings and equipment $43,500,000 and bridges $1,250,000. The area embraces 896 acres.
Rocketer, J. H.—Riflemaker of Syracuse, N. Y., 1850.
Rodier, Lewis C—Gun maker of Springfield, Mass. Active 1858-73.
Rodman, Thomas Jefferson—Brevet Brigadier General, U. S. A. Born 1815, died 1871. In 1849 Lt. Rodman devised and applied a process for casting large cannon in hollow form instead of in solid blocks to be bored subsequently. This method bears his name and is still employed in modified form.
Beginning with the 12-inch Columbiads (invented by Colonel G. Bomford and adopted by the French as the "Paixham") he practiced this method at the. Fort Pitt Cannon Company, Pittsburgh, Penna. In i860 a 15-inch gun was completed 011 this method followed by a 20-inch in February, 1864.
Rodman was the inventor of the first reliable pressure gauge for use in cannon, manmoth powder and perforated-cake powder.
(cf. Pg. 145, "History of Pittsburgh," S. Killikelly, Pittsburgh, 1906.
Pgs. 16, 17 "History of Manufactures in the United States," Clark, New York, 1929.)
Roeser, Matthew—Riflemaker of Lancaster County, Pa., 1744.
Roeser, Peter—Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa. Active from 1741 to 1782. William Henry, Sr. served his apprenticeship with Roeser about 1745-50« (Many references, Penna. Archives, 3rd Series, Vol. 17.)
Rogers Brothers—Gunlock makers of Philadelphia about 1820-30.
Rogers, John—In 1814 he secured a mill and forge near the mouth of Valley Creek, Chester County, Pa. He remained in this location until the spring of 1821 when he disposed of the lease to Brooke Evans. He next established in the city of Philadelphia where he was active until 1825 or later.
Took over the government contract of Alexander McRae. of Richmond, Virginia. This contract was issued to McRae on July 28, 1817 and covcred 10,000 stands of arms complete at S14.00 each.
Received government contract January 1, 1825 for 5,000 muskets complete at $12.25. Deliveries to be made to Frankford Arsenal within five years. (U. S. 153, Doc. 101, American State Papers.)
Rogers, L.—Gunlock maker of Xenia, 0M 1868-79, before and after.
Rogers, R.; Rogers & Hearst; Rogers & Spencer—Utica, N, Y. R. Rogers was active about 1847-50 as a pistol maker. The partnership of Rogers and Hearst followed the dates from before the Civil War.
Rogers & Spencer, Utica, produced 5,000 Freeman's Patent revolvers for the government at $12.00 each, 1863-64. Rogers & Spencer, Willow Vale, X. Y., delivered 2,001 C. S. Pettengill's Patent, July 22, 1856 revolvers on a contract received for 5,000. The Pettengill was improved and patented by Raymond & Robitaille, July 27, 1858.
On November 4th, 1862, H. S. Rogers of the firm of Rogers & Spencer, Willow Vale was granted a patent on revolver improvement.
Rood, Morgan L.—Pioneer riflemaker of Marshall, Michigan, Active 1851 or before. Received a patent on revolver, November 22, 1853. Produced a number of over and under percussion rifles. Following the Civil War he migrated to the west and established at 202 15th Street, Denver, Colorado where he was active imtil
Was this article helpful?