FOREHAND & WADSWORTH.
Using Center Fire Cartridge«. 44-100 Calibre.
Heiser, Lewi»—Shotguns and rifles, Washington St.. Tiffin, Ohio, 1857-66.
Hellinghaus, H.—Riflemaker of San Francisco, Calif. One of his arms exhibited at the Industrial Exposition held in that city in 1857 won second place in firing tests and first prize for beauty of finish.
Hemenway, Levi J.—Gunmaker of Shrewsbury, Mass., 1859-68, before and after.
Hendrick, M. S.—Gunmaker of Aurora, 111., 1869-75, before and after.
Hendricks, John—Cutler producing belt knives and axes. Philadelphia, Pa., 1784-90 and after.
Henkel, Daniel—Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1808-17. Received government contract February 14, 1815 for 1700 stand of arms complete at $14.25, deliveries within two years.
Hennch, Peter—Gunsmith of Lancaster, Pa., 1770-74.
Henry, Abraham—Gunsmith of Lancaster, Pa. T789-98, before and after. In 1798, with John Graeff, he contracted with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for 2000 rifles.
Henry, George—Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1777-78.
Henry, Granville—Son and successor to James Henry. Born 1835
active until 1880. Worked at Boulton and Philadelphia. Died 1912.
Henry, James—Son of John Joseph Henry (the second of that name) born in Philadelphia in 1809. Became the proprietor of the Boulton gun works upon the death of his father in 1836. Succeeded hv his son Granville.
Henry & Son, J.—John Joseph and James, Boulton and Philadelphia.
Henry, John Joseph—Son of the elder William, born Lancaster, November 4, 1758. At fourteen years of age he was apprenticed to an uncle whose name is not recorded. He was taken to Detroit shortly after his apprenticeship began but returned to Lancaster in 1775 where he remained until his death April 15, 1811.
Henry, John Joseph—Associated with his father William Henry Jr. The Henry shop was at Boulton but the greater part of the business was cared for at their office in Philadelphia. Received a govern ment contract in 1808, a report dated October 7, 1812 indicating that 4246 arms had been delivered.
During the War of 1812, John Joseph was in charge of the production and repair of public arms for the Committee of Defense at Philadelphia. A relative, Joseph Henry, assisted in this work.
On February 16, 1814 Try011 & Henry were given a government contract for 200 muskets and 20 swivels "on Mr. Chamber's plan of gunnery". The muskets at $23, swivels at $18 per cwt. On April 6, 1814, Iienry contracted to make 100 pistols of the same type. Although frequent reference is made to Chambers' repeating gunnery in United States Public'Documents for the years 1813 and 1814, a technical description could not be found of this system. Patent was granted Joseph C. Chambers, West Middlctown, Washington County, Pa., March 23, 1813 on "repeating gunnery/' It would appear that some of these arms were actually produced as payment was made Chambers by the Council of Safety, Philadelphia, 1814. On February 9, 1815 secured contract for 2277 stand of arms at $14.25. »
In 1822 John Joseph bought out his brother William Henry 3rd and became the exclusive owner of the Boulton gun works. He died in 1836 and was succeeded by his son James.
Henry, Joseph—Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1811-16. Associated with John Joseph Henry working for the Committee of Defense, War of 1812.
Henry, Stephen—Riflemaker of 167 High St., Providence, R. I. Active 1859-68, before and after.
Henry, William Sr.—Son of John Iienry and wife, nee De Venny. Colony, Lancaster County, Pa. where William was born in 1729. The Henrys came from Scotland in 1722 and established in Pequa. After serving as apprentice to Peter Roeser 1745-50 he was engaged as armourer to General Braddock's ill-fated expedition.
Establishing for himself he produced arms for the Committee of Safety one of his first contracts for 200 rifles being dated March 23, 1776. He worked at various times at Lancaster, Nazareth and Philadelphia. His shop at the southeast corner of Center Square, Lancaster was described as "a large gun Manufactory and Ironmongery" employing 14 hands.
About 1757-58 Iienry was associated in partnership with Joseph Simons as Simons and Henry.
On September 20, 1777, Henry received £173:12:6 from the sub-lieutenant of Lancaster County for arms produced and repaired. For the year ending September 1779, David Rittenhouse, State Treasurer paid him £12,493:12:11 "on account of arms repaired and manufactured''. A second payment from the state, dated April 1782 and in the amount of £11,867 ;6;i carried a notation by ittenhouse "'to be charged to the United States, by order of the Board of War/'
It would appear that the last mentioned payment was made Henry in his function as "Superintendent of Arms and Accoutrements to Continental Congress." On Thursday, April 23, 1778, a committee appointed by the Board of War to inquire into the efficiency of the armourers appointed by Continental Congress reported that "they are convinced that no advantage may arise to the States from a continuancc of those now engaged'. They "accordingly dismissed Mr. (Thomas) Butler, the former public armourer, and appointed William Henry, Esq., of Lancaster, Superintendent of Anns and Military Accoutrements". William Henry died December 15, 1786. (cf. pp. 43-44, "Arms Fabricators," Gardner, 1934. American , Archives, 4th Series, Vol. V, 1776, J 729.)
Henry, William Jr.—Son of the elder William. Started iti 1778 at Nazareth, Northampton. County. In 1800 he is found at Jacobs-burg. With John Jacob Henry received a government contract in 1808 on which 4246 arms had been delivered prior to October 7. 1812. Active at Boulton during the War of 1812.
Henry, William 3rd—Son of the above and brother to John Joseph Henry. Active 1808 until 1822 when he sold his interests in the Boulton gun works to John Joseph.
Henry Repeating Rifle Co.—Manufacturers of the Henry repeating rifles, New Haven, Conn. Ceased operations in 1866. (B. Tyler Henry)
Henshaw, Benjamin—Sec Salisbury Furnace.
Heppenstall Forge & Knife Co.—Pittsburgh, Pa. Organized 1889. Produced 1 3-inch antiaircraft gun and t 4.7-inch gun forgings per day, 1918. Now the Heppenstall Company.
Herman, Peter—Riflemakcr of Lancaster, Ohio. Before and after 1864-71.
Hertzog, Andrew—Gunsmith of York County, Pa. Worked upon public arms 1777-80. Doubtful as to production.
Hess, Jacob—Riflemaker of Freasc's Store, Stark County, Ohio. A fine workman, active 1852-60.
Hess, Samuel—Riflemaker of Martick township, Lancaster County, Penna., 1771.
Hetrick, Levi—127 East Wayne St., Lima, Ohio. Produced breech-loading rifles and shotguns, 1887-94, continued as repairman to 1911.
Hetrick, John; He trick & Co.—Third and Canal Sts., Newark, Ohio. Produced muzzle and breech-loading rifles, active 1858-70.
Hibernia Furnace—Joseph Huff, manager. Cannon founders to Pennsylvania, 1776-77. (pg. 72, Vol. V, Colonial Records of Penna., Harrisburg.)
Hidden, Enoch—or Hiddon. Gun and cannon-lock maker of Philadelphia. Active 1812-42. Received government contract for 300 cannon locks and 200 carronade locks at $8.75, May 19, 1814. Patented a cannon lock August 20, 1834 and April 29, 1842 which was used in the service until superseded by the friction tube in 1862. Meanwhile it had been modified and improved by Colonel Dundas of the British Army and was widely used in the British service. (#29, "Weapons through the Ages" Bilks, U. S. Army Recruiting News, 1935.)
Higgins & Son—West Chesterfield, Mass. Produced rifled gun tubes and shotguns, 1888-91.
High Standard Mfg. Co.—171 East St., New Haven, Conn. Makers of Hi-Standard .22 caliber, 10 shot automatics.
Hilly Thomas—R i flema ker of Charlotta, Vermont, 1790-1810.
Hillegas, J.—Gunsmith of Pottsville, Pa., about 1810-30.
Hillegas, Henry—Gunsmith of Harrisburg, Pa., 1857-75.
Hillard, David Hall—Born December 3, 1805. In early manhood he worked with Nicanor Kendall at Windsor, Vt. Established in Cornish, New Hampshire in 1842 and developed the underhammer sporting gun which he produced in great numbers. Died June 10, 1877 and succeeded by his brother Geo. E. Hillard.
Hillard, George E.—Cornish, N. II. Brother and successor to the above. lie marked the barrels of the rifles he made with his name or initials stamped on the under side.
Hinkles, Daniel—Gunsmith and sword cutler of Philadelphia, 1810-14. Employed seven hands in 1814.
Hirth, August—Gunsmith of Pittsburg, Pa., 1855-60. Produced "Enterprise" rifles.
Hitchcock, Elmer R,—2104 Telegraph Ave., Oakland, Calif. Rifle barrel maker.
Hoard, C. B.; Hoards Armopr—Watertown, New York. Produced . 12,800 rifled muskets for the Federal government during the Civil War. Made Freemtn's patent December 9, 1862, army revolvers also. Active 1863-68, before and after.
Hodge, J. T.—Civil War contractor supplying 10,500 rifled muskets to the Federal government.
Hoffman, J, V.—Riflemaker of Attica, Indiana, 1858-68.
Hoffman & Wright—Modern gun and rifle makers, P. O. Box No. 87, Ardmore, Okla.
Hogan, John B.—Riflemaker of North Adams, Adams, Mass., 1858-68.
Hoghen, Wolfkong—Gunsmith to Committee of Safety, Northumberland County, Penna., 1775-77. Doubtful as to arms production, (pg. 58, 2nd Series, Penna. Archives, Vol. III.)
Holden, Alex—Riflemaker of Marseilles, Wyandotte County, Ohio. Active from about 1845 to 1878.
Holden, Cyrus B.—Worcester, Mass. Secured the following patents. April I, 1862 #34850; March 29, 1864 #42139. Active 1861-68, before and, after.
Hollembeck, F. A.—Maker of repeating rifles, 131 W. Water St., Syracuse, N. Y. 1909-T2.
Hollingsworth, John—With Ralph S. Mershon, both of Zanesville, Ohio, patented a breech-loader and a repeating firearm on February 27, 1855 # 12470 and 12471 respectively. Both items had been patented in England on August 1, 1854. On September 8, 1863, Jehu Hollingsworth and Mersliom secured a patent on a "revolving, self-cocking pistol having a reservoir of power created by winding a powerful spring."
Hollingsworth, Henry—Gunsmith of Elk ton, Maryland, 1773-80 producing musket barrels and bayonets for the Continental service.
Holmes, George H.—Made or assembled a number of shotguns and rifles at Defiance, Ohio, 1866-70.
Holt, J.—Howell, Michigan, 1859-62, before and after. Produced combination percussion rifles and shotgun, over and under with ramrod on each side.
Holtry, Joseph—Riflemaker of Berks County, Pa., 1845-52, before and after.
Hood, H. G,; Hood & Foncannon—A brief partnership during the year 1848. Shop one door south of General Gale's Union Hotel, Columbus, Ohio. Both workmen were mentioned as long experienced in 1848 but the partnership was dissolved in the spring following. Hood continued to make "guns second to none in the state" until 1853. M. B. Foncannon moved to New Lexington, Ohio, where he continued until
Was this article helpful?