Manhattan Fire Arms Co.—Brooklyn, N. Y. Active T.849-62. Probably became the American Standard Tool Company.
Produced a three-barrel pepperbox which revolved by hand to avoid infringement upon Ethan Allen's patents. Probably less than three hundred made in 1849. Made "Hero" single-shot pistols also.
Made the Manhattan revolver, patent of December 27, 1859. This arm was an exact imitation of the Colt except that the Manhattan possessed a double number of cylinder stops permitting the cylinder to be locked, by the hammer, between the chambers. This was a better safety device than was offered by Colt who brought suit and forced out of business.
Mansfield & Lamb—Sword cutlers at Forestdale, L. I. Civil War contractors producing M-2, 1862 sabers.
Marble Arms & Mfg. Co,—Organized at Gladstone, Michigan in 1898 by W. L. Marble. Produced the first firearm—the Game Getter, about 1908. Best known for fine cutlery and gun sights. Active to date.
Marker, Paul—Riflemaker of Union City, Randolph County, Indiana, 1867-75, before and after.
Marlin Fire Arms Co.; J. M. Marlin; Marlin-Rockwell Corp.—Marlin established in New Haven in 1870 and continued until 1881 to become Marlin Fire Arms Company. Operated in this style until 1915 becoming Marlin-Rockwell Corporation to continue to date.
Produced "Victory" derringers, patent of April 5, 1870; "Never Miss" single-shot pistols; "Standard" revolvers, patent of April 5, 1870; "XX Standard" patent of July, 1878; Ballard target rifles, patent of November 5, 1861.
Discontinued production of sporting arms during the World War to accomplish government contracts. Produced 38,000 Browning Aircraft Machine Guns; 17,000 Browning Automatic Rifles; 9,000 Barlow heavy drop bombs and Mark II 25-lb. demolition bombs for the U. S. Government. Prior to America's entry into the war, Marlin produced a large number of old lever-type Colt machine guns for the Russian Government.
Marsh, J.—Riflemaker of Binghamton, N. Y., 1850-70.
Marston, W. W.; Marston Firearms Co.; Marston & Knox—Mars ton established on Jane Street at the corner of Washington, New York, 1850.
In 1853 he was producing 40 rifles, 150 revolvers and 400 rifled pistols per month. Stanhope W. Marston, who was associated with William, patented a "fly-tumbler gun lock" January 7, 1851.
Made a three-barrel pistol, patent of May 20, 1857. The barrel tips down to load. An indicator on the right side designates which barrels have been fired. Improved 1864, the firing pin being changed for the three barrels by operating a side stud.
(p. 136, "Art and Industry," Crystal Palace, New York, Horace Greeley, 1853.)
Martic Forge—On Pcquca Creek near Colemanville, Lancaster County, Pa. Built in 1755 and a boring mill added in 1776. Produced musket barrels and cannon shot during the Revolution. Active until 1883.
Mason, John—Georgetown, D. C. Cannon founder to the government 1825-31. During this period he received nine contracts which totaled 248 24-pounder iron cannon and 172 32-pounders, all at a price of $5.94 per cwt.
Massachusetts Arms Co.—Chicopee Falls, Mass. Established 1849, capital $70,000. Produced the following arms: Edward Maynard's rifles and carbines, patents May 27, 1851, December 6, 1859; Gilbert Smith's carbines, June 23, 1857 (the only ami employing rubber cartridge) ; Daniel Lcavitt's revolvers, November 26, 1850; Joshua J. Stevens, revolvers, October 7, 1851; R. Adams' English revolvers, May 3, 1853; J. Kerr's English revolvers, April 14, 1857.
Masterson, W.—Riflemaker of Brantford, Ontario, 1867-75, before and after.
Mathews & Moore—Bush Hill Works, Philadelphia. Produced Dahl gren cannon weighing from 7,000 to 10,000 pounds, 1861-66. (See History of Philadelphia, Scharf-Westcott, Philadelphia, 1884.)
Mason Machine Works—Taunton, Mass. Received two contracts during the Civil War. The first on January 7, 1862, for 100,000 rifled muskets; the second, June 25, 1862, for 30,000 additional. Had delivered 29,297 prior to July 30, 1864, for which the government paid .$596,316.90. (William Mason.) By 1864 had attained a weekly production rate of 600 per week. (p. 861, Vol. IT, ''History of American Manufacturers," Bishop, Philadelphia, 1864.)
Maxim, Hiram Stevens—Born February 5, 1840, died November 24, 1916. Brother to Hudson Maxim and son of Isaac and Harriet Maxim, he was born at Brock way's Mills near Sangerville, Piscataquis County, Maine.
Hiram went to England in 1882 and in 1888 effected a merger with the Nordenfcldt Gun Company. In 1896 the firm was absorbed into the Vickers Sons & Maxim Company of which Maxim was a director. He retired in 1911 and the name was shortened to Vickers, Ltd. Maxim became a British subject in 1900 and was knighted by Queen Victoria in T90T.
Maxim, Hiram Percy—Son of Hiram Stevens Maxim, born in Brooklyn, N. Y., September 2, 1869. Died La Junta, Colo., February 17, 1936.
Inventor of the Maxim gun silencer and president of the Maxim Silencer Company which was organized in 1909. The manufacture of silencers was discontinued in 1925. During the World War produced gas grenades.
Maxim, Hudson—Born Orneville, Piscataquis County, Maine, February 3, 1855. Died May 6, 1927. He was brother to Hiram whom he joined in England in 1886. Returned to Pittsfield, Mass., in December, 1888, as the American representative of the Maxim-Nor-denfeldt Guns & Ammunition Co., Ltd.
Sccurcd a patent on high explosives on September 17, 1889, and on a detachable gas check for projectiles, May 20, 1*890. Hudson did not enjoy his connection with his brother and was planning to leave his employment. Resigned in 1891 and soon thereafter became chief engineer of the Columbia Powder Mfg. Co., makers of dynamite at Squankum, New Jersey.
For this company—which failed in 1893—Maxim secured two patents for making a safer dynamite. He next began to work seriously on a smokeless powder and secured a number of patents on this process between 1893 and 1895.
He was unsuccessful in selling his ideas to his brother, but in 1897 he sold them, together with his plant, to E. I. du Pont de Nemours & Co. He served this firm as a consultant throughout the balance of his life.
Received $50,0tx> from the government in 1901 for the invention of "Maximite" high explosive. Later invented "Stabillite," a smokeless powder, a number of gun cartridges and U. S. service projectiles. Patented a number of improvements for torpedo boats, "motoritc", propellant for torpedoes, etc.
Maxim Munitions Corp.—New Haven, Conn. J. W. O'Bannon, Pres. Produced small arms cartridges for the government during the World War.
Mayer, George—Gunsmith of Lancaster, Pa., 1819-38. Produced gun-locks exclusively after 1835.
Maynard, Dr. Edward—Washington, D. C. Inventor of the Maynard breech-loader and primer. The primer was submitted to a Board of Ordnance at West Point in 1845. The original idea was the improvement of flintlock to percussion and the first alterations had the primer magazine entirely outside the stock, nor did it permit the use of regular percussion caps. The same year, 1845, 300 flintlock muskets were converted at Springfield Arsenal.
In 1851' the Ordnance Department suggested the improved lock in which the primer was imbedded in the lockplate, this type becoming the well-known Model 1855. Adopted by order of Secretary of War Jefferson Davis, 1855, condemned i860. The breechloader was patented May 27, 1851, and December 6, 1859. Centerfire primed cartridge, February 18, 1873.
Maynard Gun Co.—Chicopee Falls, Mass., 1861-62.
Mayweg & Nippes—Philadelphia. Secured U. S. Navy contract February it, 1814, for 2.000 cutlasses at $3.00. Probably Daniel Nippes.
Meier, Adolphus—Riflemaker of Saint Louis, Mo., 1845-50.
Meissner, Charles; Meissner & Son—Zanesville, Ohio. Charles Meiss-ner, Sr. established in 1856. Produced rifles and active until 1880 under his name. Became Meissner & Son the same year and continued until 1902. Shop at 12 South Sixth Street.
Melchoir, Nathaniel—Gunmaker of Baltimore, Md. Active about 1830-40.
Mendenhall, James & Gardner—Confederate gunsmiths at Greensboro, N. C. Contracted with the state to make 10,000 rifles. These arms were marked "M.J.&G."
Meriden Mfg. Co.—Meriden, Conn. Active during the Civil War producing the Triplett & Scott carbine. This arm used in the service 1865-70 and invented by Louis Triplett of Columbia, Ky., patent December 6, 1864. Also produced W. H. & G. W. Miller's patent May 23, 1865 conversion during the period 1865-68.
Meriden Fire Arms Co.—508 N. Colony St., Meriden, Conn., firearms 1907-09.
Merrill, James H.; Merrill Patent Fire Arms Mfg. Co.—Merrill, a gunsmith of Baltimore, began about 1852. He received the following patents: January 8, 1856, breech-loader, produced by Remington and later known as the Merrill, Latrobe & Thomas; July 20, 1858, method of converting muzzle-loaders. About 14,000 arms converted by the government on this system; April 8, 1861, brcech-loader, with action changes covered by patents of May 28, 1861; October 22, 1861; December 8, 1863; produced by the Brown Mfg. Co., Newburyport, Mass., and called the Brown-Merrill.
During the period January 1, 1861, to June 30, 1866, the government had purchased 14495 carbines and 583 rifles, paying $398,685.13.
Merrimac Arms & Mfg. Co.—Newburyport, Mass. Established 1866, E. P. Bray. Agent. Produced Baliard rifles, "Southern derringers," . patent of April .9, 1867; Martin's patent "Magic Globe Sights"; Beach's "Combination Rifle Sights," etc.
Merritt, Allen—Riflemakcr of East Randolph, Mass., about 1855.
Merritt, John—Gunmaker of Boston, Mass., 1789-98 and after.
Merritt, Ira—Riflemaker of Abington, Mass., 1859-68, before and after.
Merwin & Bray; Merwin & Simpkins; Merwin, Taylor & Simpkins; Merwin, Hulbert & Co.—Merwin & Bray were activc at Worcester, Mass., 1864, or earlier, until 1868.
In 1868 Merwin & Simpkins and Merwin, Taylor & Simpkins became Merwin, Hulbert Co., to continue until 1891 or later.
During the period 1864-68 Merwin & Bray actually produced arms, or the parts thereof, at Worcester, Mass. Bray was essentially a sales representative, acting in this capacity for Merrimac Arms & Mfg. Co., of Newburyport, Mass., since the organization of that firm in 1866. Merwin & Bray were also agents for the sale of Ballard's breech-loader and for Plants Patent revolvers.
During the period 1887-91 Merwin, Hulbert & Co., with offices at 26 W. 23rd Street, New York, made, or had made for them, a line of rifles and derringers.
Messersmith, John—Gunsmith of Lancaster, Pa., coming from Maryland. In 1776 he was producing gunlocks for the Committee of Safety at $3.00 each. May have worked at Philadelphia also and,active to T779 or biter.
Messersmith, Jacob—Gunsmith of Lancaster Borough, Lancaster County, Pa., 1779-82. Doubtful as to arms production.
Messersmith, Samuel—Gunsmith of Baltimore, Md. Contract musket maker to Maryland Council of Safety, 1775-78. On February 7, 1776, 27 muskets of his manufacture were subjected to proof-test, 23 were reported "good, 4 bad." He also produced 10 or 12 gun-locks per week, at $3.00 and repaired public arms. (Many references, Archives of Maryland, Browne, Baltimore, 1893, Vols. XVI, XX, XXI.)
Metropolitan Arms Co.—97 Pearl St., New York City. Established 1859. Produced a few revolvers which were almost an exact copy of the Colt Navy. Colt sued for infringement and stopped manufacture.
Metzger, J.—Lancaster, Pa. A handsome Kentucky rifle dated 1728 and signed by Metzger indicates that he was one of the first to produce this weapon.
Metzger, Jacob T.—Lancaster, Pa. Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa., 1849-57> before and after.
Muenier, John; Meunier Gun Co.—Gunmaker of Milwaukee, Wise. Active 1855 until about 1886, died 1919.
Meylan, Martin—Gunsmith of Lancaster, Pa. He began in 1719. Doubtful as to production.
Middletown Firearms & Specialty Co.—Middletown, Conn. Active 1925-27, the products of this firm are unknown to the writer.
Midvale Steel and Ordnance Co.—Philadelphia, Pa. Began the manufacture of ordnance material in 1880, the first gun, a 6-inch naval piece, produced in 1883.
Produced coast defense, field and naval guns, gun mountings, armor plate and small arms. One of the most important sources of ordnance procurement in the nation, their arms are excelled by none.
Miles, John—Gunsmith of New Jersey. Secured a government contract June 30, 1808. A report dated October 7, 1812, indicates that Miles had delivered 2,407 muskets and was in arrears 6,793 arms and overdrawn in the amount of $1,000.
Miles, TRomas—Gunsmith of Pennsylvania. lie received a portion of the work provided for by Act of March 8, 1797, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, which authorized the purchase of muskets of the Charleville type.
Milholland, James—Civil War contractor. Produced 5,502 rifled muskets.
Miller, Benjamin—Riflemaker of Berks County, Pa. Established in 1821 and active until 1852 or later.
Miller, C*—Riflemaker of Honoeye, N. Y., about 1850-55.
Miller, David—Riflemaker of Troy, Ohio. Active 1859-77, before arid after.
Miller, Franklin—Reading, Pa. Active 1841 and in 1854 he owned three gun factories along the Wyomissing and several shops and forges in other parts of the state. Made rifles and firearm barrels.
Miller, John—Gunmaker of Pcnfield and Monroe, Michigan, about
Was this article helpful?