Reid, J.—Pistol maker of New York City and Catskill, New York. Active 1862-68, before and later. Produced "My Friend" knuckle-duster, patent of November 26, 1865.
Reid, Templet on—Riflemaker of Milledgeville, Georgia, 1824.
Rein, John—Riflemaker of New York, 1863-75, before and after.
Reinhart, Peter A.—Reinhart, a native of Germany, was brought to America when but six years of age. His family located at Columbus, Ohio about 1842 and soon thereafter Reinhart entered the gun shop of Sprague at Loudonville, Ohio. In 1850 he pursued his studies in the shop of William Billinghurst of Rochester, New York, one of the greatest gunsmiths of his time. Returned to Loudonville about 1853 and continued until 1896 thence to Dayton where, shortly thereafter, his advancing years compelled him to retire.
Reinhart was an exceedingly skillful workman and his rifles brought a handsome price. An ardent marksman, he attended numerous matches throughout the country and qualified for a generous share of the prizes.
Reising Arms Co.—Waterbury, Conn. Produce the Reising .22 caliber automatic pistol. Formerly the Reising Mfg. Corp., N. Y., Reising Arms Co., Hartford, Conn., and New Haven Small Arms Co., New-Haven, Conn.
Remington, Eliphalet; E. Remington & Sons; Remington U. M. C. Cou; Remington Arms Co., Inc.—Eliphalet Remington, Jr., founder of the Remington Company, was born in 1793. In his youth he was employed in the blacksmith business of his father. Possessed of considerable ingenuity and business acumen he realized the splendid possibities of the arms market and in 1816 brought out his first rifle. His arms being favorably received he invested in additional equipment and gunmaking was undertaken to the exclusion of other activities.
In 1844 Philo, son of Eliphalet, Jr., entered the business, the firm then taking the name E. Remington & Son. The following year a contract held by John Griffiths of Cincinnati for 5,000 rifles for the government was taken over by Remington.
In addition to the plant at Ilion another was established at Herkimer, N. Y. Model 1841 muskets were manufactured at Herkimer in 1848-49 and a portion of the arms provided by contract of November 21, 1851 were made here also. This later contract covered 5,000 rifles at $11.00.
In 1846 took over a contract held by N. P. Ames for several thousand Jenk's patent May 25, 1838 carbines. On September 9, 1854 received contract for parts for altering 20,000 muskets to receive Maynard primers, at $3.15 each.
The firm name was changed in 1856 to indicate the entrance of two additional sons in the business, these being Samuel and Eliphalet 3rd. Eliphalet Jr., the founder, died in 1861.
The following government contracts were received during the Civil War:
July 30, 1S61, 10,000 Model 1855, Harpers Ferry muskets at $20.00
August 11, 1862, 10,coo additional at $17.00. December 13, 1863, 2,500 ditto at §17.00.
The government also purchased 2,814 Beal's patent September 14, 1858 revolvers during the period 1861-65.
In 1865 the business was incorporated and the services of Joseph Rider secured. The Rider-Remington or Remington System action was developed and a period of great prosperity followed which extended through the period of 1868-80. During this period the Remington-Lee bolt action was adopted to add prestige to the Remington arms.
Some idea of the volume of production maintained during this period can be gained from the following figures of amis delivered:
1867, 85,000 Rider-Remingtons for Spain
1868, 3,000 for Sweden; 50,000 for Egypt. 1870, 145,000 rifles for France.
The following deliveries are of uncertain dates:
New York 21,000 Porto Rico 10,000
Cuba 89,000 Spain 130,000
Egypt 55,ooo Mexico 50,000
During the Russo-Turkish War both belligerents bought heavily from the Remingtons, the Turkish order for 210.000,000 rounds of ammunition being the largest placed to that time—1879.
From 1880 to 1885 produced Kecnc's patent 1874 bolt-action rifles and carbines for the U. S. government.
Due to the manufacture of unrelated articles the firm failed in 1886 but was shortly thereafter revived as the Remington Arms Company.
Control of the business had passed from the Remington family . to Hartley & Graham 01 New York who were also interested in the Union Metallic Cartridge Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut. In 1902 the two firms were consolidated as the Remington U. M. C. Company later taking the name Remington Arms Co., Inc., to date.
During the early days of the World War, Nagant rifles were made for the Russian government. In September, 1917, a U. S. contract for 15,000 watcr-coolcd Browning machine guns was secured but these were not delivered by Remington. Produced Very signal pistols, Mark III and countless other ordnance items for the U. S. however.
On June 1, 1934 the Parker Brothers shotgun manufactory was taken over.
In addition to the before mentioned arms, Remington has produced the following:
Elliott's derringers, 4, 5 and 6 barrel, patent August 17, 1858;
May 29, i860 and August 27, 1867. Rider's vest pocket pistols, patent October t, 1861. W. S. Smoot's revolvers, patent 1873.
J. F. Thomas' percussion gun cane, patent February 9, 1858.
Beat's revolvers, patent September 14, 1858.
James H. Merrill's breach-loader, patent January 8, 1856.
Remington Navy pistols, Model of 1867, breech-loading, rare.
Remington Army pistols, Model of 1871, breech-loading.
Keene magazine rifle, J. Keene patent February 1874. Used in the service 1880-85.
Austin F. Freeman's breech-loader, patent January 2, 1872.
Repeating Rifle Co.—1533 Bristol St., Philadelphia. Made rifle with revolving cylinder, 1915-16.
Rendyls, Bernard—Rifle barrel maker of Steubenville, Ohio, 1852-54.
Reuthe, F.—New Haven. Conn., 1854-60. Produced trap guns, single and double barrel for light, medium and heavy game, patent
Was this article helpful?