Tucker, Sherrod & Co.—Lancaster, Texas. Made revolvers for the Confederate government, 1863-64. These resemble Colt's second model Dragoon and are now rare.
Tunx, William—Gunmaker of New York as early as 1769. In 1775, the Royalist Governor William Tryon induced Tunx to quit the colonies for London. Tunx was to he given employment in one of the Crown Armories.
Turk, James—Rifleniaker of Morrow, Warren County, Ohio. Active 1852-65.
Tveryar, M.—Rifleniaker of Frederick, N. C. Active about 1855-62.
Tyler Arsenal—Tyler, Texas. A Confederate gun factory which produced "Texas Rifles, Tyler, C S." during the latter part of the Civil War.
Tyler, John—Gunsmith of Allentown, Pa. Tyler was in charge of the State Gun Factory while it was located here and gave employment to sixteen hands. Worked on public arms from 1775 to 1779. He was active as early as 1772 or before.
Unger, Oswald—Rifleniaker. His shop was located 011 Butler Street, Port Huron, Mich., where he was active 1858-67, before and after.
Union Arms Co.—New York. Active 1858-64, before and after. Received a government contract November 15, 1861, for 25,000 rifled muskets at $20.00 each. These are marked "U. A. Co. New York" upon the lockplatcs. Produced pcrcussion single-shot, pistols exactly like the Allen.
Union Arms Co.—or Firearms Co. Established in Toledo, Ohio, in 1903. Produced repeating shotguns, revolvers, etc. Taken over by the Ithaca Gun Company about 1913.
Union Mfg. Co.—A Confederate gun factory at Richmond, Va. G. P. Sloat of Philadelphia, Supt.
Union Metallic Cartridge Co.—Bridgeport, Conn. Established 1866, capital $300,000. Merged with Remington in 1902 as the Remington U. M. C. Co.
Union Rifle Works—North Second Street, Philadelphia. Active 1856-60, before and after.
U. S. Arms Co.—Revolver makers of New York City about 1870. Found at 244 Plymouth Street, Brooklyn, N. Y.f 1874-78.
U. S. Arms & Cutlery Co.—Rochester, N. Y. Produced pencil-pistols and knife-pistols, etc.
United States Cartridge Co.—Established at Lowell, Mass., in 1869, by Gen. Benjamin F: Butler and associates. Butler securcd complete control in 1870 and continued to operate the business until his death in 1893. Paul Butler, son of Gen. Butler, became the treasurer in 1876, and continued with the firm until his death in the fall of 1918.
In 1910 the National Lead Company purchased a half interest in the business, buying the remaining half in 1919. Since that time the National Lead Company has been sole owners.
During the World War the company served the governments of the United States, Great Britain, Holland, Russia, France and Italy. A remarkable total of 2,262,671,000 munition items were produced during this period.
(After Brooks Darlington in The Dupont Magaziney by permission.)
United States Machine Gun Co.—Meriden, Conn. A promotional project organized by William Haskell of Boston in 1917 to sell the rights to the Berthier machine gun. The firm was active until 1921, during which year the Berthier automatic, or semi-automatic, was submitted to an army board.
United States Projectile Co.—Brooklyn, N. Y. Produced navy projectiles, 1899-1900.
United States Rapid Fire Gun & Powder Co.—Derby, Conn. Probably manufactured Driggs-Schroeder ordnance. Active 1905-08.
U. S. Small Arms Co.—Chicago, 111. Produced .22 caliber knife pistols, T917. Short lived.
Unverzagt, William—Gunmaker of Memphis, Tenn., 1868-75.
Vagen & Co., J. H.—Gunmakers of Indianapolis, Ind., 1869-71.
Vallee, Prosper—Riflemaker of Philadelphia, 1840, before and after.
Valley Forge—An arms factory established about twenty miles from Philadelphia in 1742. First mentioned as the Mount Joy Forge, this place produced arms for the American patriots for more than a century.
The original founders of the gun-making business were Stephen Evans, Daniel Welker and Joseph Williams. Stephen Evans is known to have been allotted a portion of the work provided for by Act of March 8, 1797, Commonwealth of Pennsyl vania "for the purchase of 20,000 stand of muskets, of the fashion and pattern of the French Gharleville musquet." Later O. & E. Evans are found working on government contract of 1808 for muskets "for arming the Militia." They had delivered 1,960 arms prior to October 7, 1812.
B. Evans and W. L. Evans are both known to have produced Model 1822 muskets at Valley Forge. These are met with dated 1831. W. L. Evans also produced Model 1827, .54 caliber pistols for the Navy.
Van Valkenburgh, S.—Riflemaker of Albany, N. Y., 1849-50.
Vandenburgh, O. B.—Riflemaker of Findlay, Hancock County, Ohio, 1858*-66, before and after.
Vanderburgh, E.—Riflemaker of Wilmington, Ohio, 1859-61.
Vanderburg, Wnu—Riflemaker of Wilmington, Ohio, 1848-54.
Vandergrift, Isaac and Jeremiah—Gunmakers of Philadelphia, 1809-15. Worked for a time with John Joseph Henry.
Vander Poel—Gunsmith of New York, 1740.
Vanderheyden, John—Riflemaker of Auburn, N. Y., 1850.
Varclis, C.—Cutler to the colonies, 1775-76. Location unknown.
Varney, David M.—Gunmaker of Burlington, Vt., 1856-75.
Vellee—Riflemaker of Philadelphia, 1826. Probably the same as Prosper Vallee.
Villwock, Charles—Riflemaker of Toledo, Ohio. Active from i860 or before. Member of the firm of Villwock & Orth, 1874-75. Employing three hands in 1876 and active until 1882.
Vince, Joseph—202 E. 44th Street, New York City. Modern maker of fine fencing foils.
Vincent, Andy—Riflemaker of Defiance, Ohio, 1857-62.
Vincent, John—Riflemaker of near Vincent, Washington County, Ohio. Born August 28, 1809. Produced his first rifle in 1844 and during the 50's his time was devoted largely to the making of rifles to order. His day book indicates that he made 111 rifles to order from June, 1849, to July, 1859, in addition to rifles for shop stock. Associated with him was his son, John Caleb Vincent, who succeeded him upon his death, September 17, 1882.
Vincent, John Calefb—Son and successor to the above. Born in Washington County, Ohio, March 21, 1841. Succeeded his father in 1882 and active until 1900. The Vincents produced both muzzle-loading and metallic arms, the last being completed by John Caleb in 1900. Died April 19, 1918. A very fine workman.
Virginia Manufactory—Richmond. Va. Establishment was authorized by Act of December, 1797, State of Virginia, to provide arms for the Militia. It is very probable that James Haslett accomplished his Virginia contract, in part, at this place. Production began in 1802 and continued until the close of the Civil War.
Voight, Henry—Contract gunlock-maker to the Pennsylvania Committee of Safety, 1775-76.
Volcanic Repeating Arms Co.—Newr Haven, Conn. Organized in 1854 and bccame the New Haven Arms Co., in 1857. Produced Volcanic arms (see Winchester). Made a magazine pistol, lever operated, using a hollow bullet containing fulminate as its propéllant, patent of February 13, 1854.
Vondergrift, John—Or Vandergrift. A Committee of Safety musket maker of Bucks County, Pa., 1775.
Wagner Ordnance Co., R. & V.—East Moline, 111. Produced navy guns and mounts during the World War.
Wallace & Sons—Ansonia, Conn. Cartridge manufacturers, 1888-91.
Wallach, Moses A.—Gunmaker of Boston, Mass., 1800-25.
Walch Fire Arms Co.—New York City. Produced J. Walch's Patent February 8, 1859, revolvers. Ten shots from five chambers, two hammers, actuated by a single trigger, fires the two charges from each chamber, one after the other.
Walker, S. L.—Riflemaker of Cedarville, Ohio, 1854-89.
Walsh, James—Philadelphia, Pa. Gunlock maker to the Committee of Safety, 1775.
Walters, A.—Riflemaker of New York, N. Y„ 1822.
Ware & Morse—Gunmakers. Joseph S. Ware and John R. Morse. Established at Worcester, Mass.-, in 1833.
Ware & Wheelock—Gunmakers. Established at Worcester, Mass., in 1825.
Was this article helpful?