ARMY ONLY: Army users shall package the rifle and the carbine in accordance with each respective Packaging Data Sheet (PDS) for shipment or storage which may exceed 90 days The PDS is part of the Army Master Data File Retrieval Microform System (ARMS) Packaging File
AIR FORCE ONLY: Air Force users shall package the rifle in accordance with each respective Special Packaging Instruction (SPI) 00-856-6885 for shipment or storage which may exceed 90 days The SPIs are part of the Army Master Data File Retrieval Microform System (ARMS) Packaging File b. Packaging, if required, for shipping/storage which will not exceed 90 days shall be as follows (1) Clean in accordance with operator's manual
2-72 Change 4
(2) Wrap with MIL-B-121 waterproof material.
(3) Place in barrier bag MIL-B-117, Type I, Class C, or wrap with MIL-B-121, Type I, Grade A, and seal with tape, PPP-T-76.
(4) Place one or more of item in minimum size container. Block and brace in accordance with MIL-STD-1186. Cushion the M16 and similar weight items with PPP-C-843, and use PPP-F-320 as filler, to create a tight pack.
(a) Fiber board containers shall be in accordance with PPP-B-636 and may be Class Domestic. Gross weight and size of material shall determine grade of fiberboard container. PPP-B-640 may also be used.
(b) Wood containers shall be in accordance with PPP-B-601 or PPP-B-621.
(5) Equivalent materials may be used.
c. NSNs are not assigned to all the specified material. If it is necessary to specify an NSN in the TMs, the packing materials will have to be spared and part numbers and NSNs assigned.
d. The specifications used are:
Barrier Material, Greaseproofed, Waterproofed, Flexible (NSN 8135-00-753-4661)
Bag, Sleeve and Tubing -- Interior Packaging (NSN 8135-00-543-6574)
Boxes, Shipping, Fiberboard
Boxes, Wood, Cleated Plywood
Marking for Shipment and Storage
Tape, Packaging, Paper
Cushioning, Anchoring, Bracing, Blocking and Waterproofing; with Appropriated Test Methods
Cushioning Material, Cellulosic
(9) PPP-F-320Fiberboard, Corrugated and Solid Sheet Stock (Container Grade), and Cut
Boxes, Fiberboard, Corrugated, Triple-Wall Boxes, Wood, Nailed and Locked -- Corner
Was this article helpful?