(1) If the rifle is not already broken down into its main parts, begin by ensuring that the chamber is cleared.
(2) Place the rifle on the safe (safety lever horizontal), see Figure 2-13, page 19, press the magazine catch forward, towards the magazine, and remove the magazine. Pull the charging handle to the rear, which will eject any cartridge still chambered.
(3) After the rifle is unloaded, and with the charging handle to he rear, always physically check the chamber for ammunition to preclude injury from an accidental discharge.
(4) Remove the rear lock pin, (see Figure 2-11, page 17), from the rear (buttstock) hole. Remove the midlock pin from the hole near center bottom of the rifle. Positioned behind the rifle, retract the charging handle on the bolt carrier until the bolt withdraws from, and clears, the barrel. Lift the upper receiver at the rear, far enough to clear the bolt, then slowly release the charging handle. Continue lifting the upper receiver until it can be unhinged from the lower receiver.
(5) Remove the bolt carrier from the lower receiver by sliding it forward until it is free of the sheet metal closure (1), Figure 2-15, and can be lifted out of the lower receiver.
WHEN REMOVING THE BOLT CARRIER FROM THE LOWER RECEIVER, ENSURE THAT THE BOLT CARRIER IS COMPLETELY FORWARD OF THE SHEET METAL CLOSURE BEFORE LIFTING TO AVOID SERIOUS DAMAGE TO THE LOWER RECEIVER.
Was this article helpful?