1. Firearms-related terms are defined in the Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners, Glossary, 3rd ed. (1994), published by Available Business Printing, Inc., 1519 South State Street, Chicago, IL 60605.
2. Ammunition details are given in H. P. White and B. D. Munhall, "Cartridge Headstamp Guide," published by H.P. White Laboratory, Bel Air, MD.
3. 7,000 grains (gn) = 1 pound (lb) = 453.59237 grams (g) = 16 ounces (oz.).
4. Firearms that were altered, damaged, or destroyed during the experimental work were all destined for disposal.
5. Persons referenced under "Private communications" cannot be identified for security reasons.
6. Due to a terrorist bomb attack on the NIFSL in September 1992, some material relating to the experimental work was destroyed or lost. Fortunately, the bulk of it was salvaged. However, some details were lost and these will be mentioned in the text. The missing paperwork included some of the references and I apologize to those whose work I have detailed but not referenced.
Was this article helpful?