These objectives were met by Philco-Ford. The Phase II program was conducted from March 1969 through April 1970, to design and fabricate a rapid-fire gun and an associated test feed mechanism, and to continue development of compatible, fully telescoped, caseless ammunition. The primary objective of this program was to prove feasibility of the gun system. The program met or exceeded gun performance objectives. The gun was capable ot firing 25 round bursts at 6,000 rpm, which was never demonstrated because the feed svstem could not achieve
Work began on the XM129 in 1963 for the purpose of reducing the mounting difficulties inherent in the M75 Grenade Launcher. However, the basic principle of operation remained identical with the M75. Between 1963 and 1971, Philco-Ford*s Acronu- In 1966 and 1967, Philco-Ford developed the
Conference on Electric Primers and Gun Ignition Circuits. Personnel from General Electric, Frank-ford Arsenal, Springfield Armory, Ballistic Research Laboratory, and Aberdeen Proving Ground, and other interested parties were invited to a conference held in Washington on 1 7 March 1949, to exchange information relative to electric primers and gun ignition circuits.
The counter was mounted on top of the magazine plate and operated by a small gear, the teeth of.which engaged in the notches of a latch lock located in the spacer ring. The indicator was set at zero when the drum was filied after firing commenced, the revolution of the magazine's rim operated the indicator through its gearing. When only 19 rounds were left in the drum, a luminous figure one appeared and stayed until only 9 rounds remained. The number then disappeared and a red marker came into view to indicate to the gunner that the drum should be changed at the first opportunity.
Oerlikon was involved writh TRW during the development of the ammunition for the 6425. Philco-Ford also began work in 1969 on improving the TRW 6425. Their gun is now known as the PFB-25 (Philco-Ford Bushmaster 25mm automatic camion) and was a candidate for the VRFWS-S (Vehicle Rapid Fire Weapons System Successor). Oerlikon also worked with Philco on ammunition for the PFB-25.
In 1925, the Yickers Co. in England, having acquired the manufacturing rights to all Ber-thier machine guns, started production on a limited scale. 1 his was done more to keep the personnel of its large Cray ford plant employed than to fill the needs of the British services for a machine gun, since at this time the gun-making industry, as far as military types of automatic weapons were concerned, was at a low ebh.
This second edition's photographers and photo technicians include my lovely wife, Gail, along with Roger Kennedy, Charles Farrow, and Doug Black. Many of Brad Hopkins' first edition illustrations have been retained, reinforced by new drawings from Tami Anderson. And finally, I thank Paladin Press publisher Peder Lund, a fellow Special Forces combat vet, and my editor, Jon Ford, for their help and encouragement.
Event that occurred on April 14, 1865, at Ford's Opera House in Washington, D.C. It was there that John Wilkes Booth assassinated President Abraham Lincoln. The gun used was described as being small in size but of large bore. Because an arm such as this has great appeal to both collector and novice alike, Dixie Gun Works of Union City, Tennessee, offers a kit for building a vintage pistol like the one in the Ford's Opera House incident.
The experience of the Americans, Europeans and Russians in developing their current range of aircraft cannon has been markedly different. After an attempt at updating the M-39 (the Ford Tigerclaws, intended for the abortive F-20 Tigershark) the Americans have remained true to the rotary cannon. This is despite the development of an impressive twin-barrel 25mm gun, the GE 225. This chambers the NATO 25 x 137 cartridge and while using the Gast-type alternating fire principle, was tried in two versions gas-operated (to achieve 2,000 rpm) and externally driven (variable rate up to 750 rpm). The Americans at one time attempted to produce an advanced 25mm rotary cannon (the Philco-Ford GAU-7 A being the chosen version) intended for the F-15 fighter. The projectile was buried within a cylindrical combustible case which resembled an oversized shotgun cartridge. This was defeated by technical problems and the 20mm M61A1 has remained in US service ever since. Now produced by General Dynamics,...
Numerous handbooks, pamphlets and other refs describing the blasting process are available. See also Ammonium Nitrate Blasting Explosives, Vol l,p A341 Ammonium Nitrate Dynamite, Vol l,p A355 Ammonium Nitrate Gelatin, Vol 1, p A367 and Blasting Explosives in this vol Refs l)Colver(1918),485ff & 560 2)Ensign-Bick-ford Co, Efficient Blasting & Prevention of Blasting Trouble ,Pamphlet(1941),22pp 3)Y.Suzuki, JapP 3,4 &5 (1950) & CA 46,8376(1952) 4)A.I. Seleznev,Ugol' 26, No 5, 29-30(1951) & CA 45, 8248(1951) 5)Blasters' Handbook(1952) 6)F. Weichelt, Handbuch der gewerblichen 6a)T.Jinda et al,JIndExplsSoc(Japan)14,210-12(1953) & CA 49,11281(1955) 7)B.Stoces, Introduction to Mining ,Lange, Maxwell & Springer,London NW, Vols 1 & 2(1954) 8)H.Stapf, Bergbauchemie , Fachbuchverlag,Leipzig(1954),427pp 9)Imperial Chemlndustries Limited, 31asting Practice , Pamphlet, 2nd Ed, The Kynoch Press, Birmingham (1956) 10)0,K hnl, Handuch der Sprengtechnik , Verlag des Osterreichischen Gewerkschaftsbundes,...
The Philco-Ford GAU-8 A guns fired successfully at low (2000 rpin) and high rate (4000 rpm). The time to achieve 90 percent of the low rate ranged from 63 to 214 milliseconds. The time to achieve 90 percent of high rate ranged from 155 to 460 milliseconds. Average hydraulic horsepower delivered to the gun ranged from 27.1 to 46.9 at low rate and from 29.9 to 93.8 at high rate.
In late 1970, the Air Force contracted General Electric and Philco-Ford each to develop, fabricate, test and deliver the Air Force three 30mm close air The two guns were installed on one pallet that was designed to fit into the gun bay ot the YA-10. The system was recalled by Eglin Air Force Base before the start of tests of the Philco-Ford and General Electric systems.
The Philco-Ford gun receives rounds from the feed system terminal sprocket and depending on the command condition of the trigger the gun either chambers and fires the rounds and returns spent cases to the terminal sprocket, or, during gun clearing, bypasses rounds through the gun housings and returns them to the terminal sprocket without ramming or chambering them. At the end of each burst, the gun reverses direction and the leading unfired round in the feed system is automatically repositioned at the terminal sprocket so that it will be placed in the first bolt to be cammed forward after reapplication of the firing command.
The Americans adopted the revolver principle soon after the war (in fact the idea was patented in 1905 by Charles Clarke of Philadelphia, but then forgotten), but unlike the British and French chose a 20 X 102 cartridge, later also used in their M61 rotary cannon. This led to the Pontiac M39, introduced in the early 1950s, which over thirty years later was improved to create the lightweight, faster-firing Ford Tigerclaws intended for the abortive Northrop F-20 Tigershark. Other calibres of revolver ranging up to 37mm were built but not adopted.
In 1955, the second buy for 1640 was given to Cline Electric Co. The industrial responsibility for this particular weapon was given to Rock Island Arsenal, However, during the production orders, there was a continuing product improvement contract at Pontiac under sponsorship of Springfield Armory. Ford and Armour also continued to improve the weapon to include the T160E5 and T160E6 models. Type classification was accomplished in 1953.
Shorter (30 x 100B) cartridge for the Philco-Ford alent of the M230. In by far the most radical XM140 (popularly known as the WECOM after development in cannon to be announced in the US Army Weapons Command) but adopted the Aden round in the interests of NATO Low-velocity cartridge development (from left to right) 37mm HotchkisslMaxim (37 x 94 R), lpdr Vickers Mk III (37 x 69R), 1.59 Cray ford (40 x 79R), 40mm LVgrenade (40 x 46SR), 40mm HVgrenade (40 x 53SR, with belt link still attached), 30mm AGS-171AG-17A (30 x 29B)
Following further refinements by Armour, Springfield turned the drawings over to Ford Motor Company in 1951. This company fabricated the Armour Model D as T130 E1 T160E1. Later that year Ford redesigned the Armour gun into the T130E2 T160E2. With Springfield Armory coordinating the program, Ford redesigned the E1 weapon for limited production into the T130E3 T160E3, including a sheet metal receiver, and fabricated 380 guns in 1951 and 1952. In late 1951, Springfield Armory turned the drawings over to Rock Island Arsenal for an educational program there. Late the following year, 1952, Ford, continuing improvement, redesigned the E3 gun, which was then designated the calibre .60 T130E4 20mm T160E4. The calibre .60 version along with the comparable Gatling calibre .60 was discontinued when it was found that this ammunition did not have room for adequate high explosive.
Features developed by the Government, manufactured for the Ordnance Department in early 1933 two modified Browning machine guns, caliber .50 (later known as Ml 921A I) two Browning aircraft machine guns, caliber .50 (designated the M1921E2) and two improved Browning machine guns, caliber .50, heavy barrel. These were the first weapons to represent the combined innovations of the two models. They were tested at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Frank-ford Arsenal, Fort Monroe, and Wright Field, and were also demonstrated at the Naval Proving Ground, Dahlgren. Test results were most favorable and interest in the improved caliber .50 Browning was greatly intensified. When invited to furnish a complete set of ordnance drawings, the Colt's Co. suggested that their preparation at Springfield Armory from the firm's drawings, would be more economical.
Early 30's, majoring in mechanical engineering. During the depression he worked as a machinist, yet quit his job three times in four years to take six month hunting trips. The first trip covered most of the U. S. and the second Western Canada, in a Model A Ford. Being practically broke, he lived off the country with a Colt Woodsman. The battered Model A made about 20,000 miles into Mexico, on the third trip. Maynard discovered he was down to 30 and 2,750 miles from home. He got back with 95 to spare, due to his deadly accuracy with the Woodsman that supplied plenty of fresh meat, including jackrabbits. Those 18 months of hunting accounted for specimens of most North American game.
Ford Shop Manuals And Service Manuals Official Download Page
You can safely download your risk free copy of Ford Shop Manuals And Service Manuals from the special discount link below.