An automobile generator can be used as a means of firing one blasting cap or igniter. (Improvised Igniter. Section V, No. 2, may be used.)
Automobile generator (6, 12, or 28 volts). (An alternator will not work.) Copper Wire
Strong string or wire, about 5 ft. (150 cm) long and 1/16 in. (1-1/2 mm)
in diameter Knife
Small light bulb requiring same voltage ss generator, (for example, bulb from aame vehicle aa generator).
1. Strip about 1 in. (2-1/2 cm) of coating from both ends of 3 copper wires. Scrape ends with knife until metal is shiny.
2. Connect the A and F terminals with one piece of wire.
3. Connect a wire to the A terminal. Connect another to the G terminal.
4. Wrap several turns of string or wire clockwise around the drive pulley.
HOW TO USE:
1. Connect the free ends of the wires to the light bulb.
Leads to Bulb or Detonator
2. Place one foot on the generator to secure it in place. Give the string or wire a very hard pull to light the bulb.
NOTE: If not successful at first, rewind string and try again several times. After repesting this operation and the bulb still does not light, follow Step 4, "How to Use."
3. If light bulb lights, follow Steps 1 and 2 of above, "How to Use," connecting free ends of wires to blasting cap or igniter inatead of to light bulb.
4. If light bulb does not light after several pulls, switch leads connected to F and G terminals. Repeat above "How to Use." Steps 1 to 3.
Section Vn No. 12
IMPROVISED BATTERY (SHORT LASTING)
This battery is powerful but must be used within IS minutes after fabrication. One cell of this battery will detonate one blasting cap or one Igniter. Two cella, connected In series, will detonste two of these devices and so on. Lsrger cells have a longer life as well as greater power.
Was this article helpful?