1. Add just enough water to completely cover the seeds and place the cap on the jar.
2. Attach connecting wires from ,, —-the firing circuit to the two screws on the cap.
4. Check actual burning rate of fuse by measuring the time it takes for a known length to burn. This it used to determine the length needed for a desired delay time. If 5 in. (12 1/2 cm) burns for 6 seconds, 50 in. (125 cm) of fuse cord will be needed to obtain a one minute (60 second) delay time.
CONNECTING SLOW BURNING FUSE
WIRES The burnin* °f this fuse is approximately 2 in. (5 cm) per minute.
METAL DISC MATERIAL REQUIRED;
Cotton String or 3 Shoelaces DRIED Potassium Nitrate or Potassium Chlorate
SEEDS Granulated Sugar
1. Waih cotton-string or shoelaces in hot soapy water; rinse in fresh water.
2. Dissolve 1 part Potassium Nitrate or Potassium Chlorate and 1 part granulated sugar in 2 parts hot water.
3. Soak string or shoelaces in solution.
4. Twist or braid three strands of string together and allow to dry.
5. Check actual burning rate of the fuse by measuring the time it takes for a known length to burn. This is used to determine the length needed for the desired delay time. If 2 in. (5 cm) burns for 1 minute, 10 in. (25 cm) will be needed to obtain a 5 minute delay.
4. Thread string through hole in cigarette.
5. Tie string around rear of clothespin, 1/8 inch or less from end. The clothespin may bo notched to hold the string in placet
Notches Leas Than 1/8 Inch From End
Was this article helpful?