1. Draw or scratch two lines around the can - one 3/4" (19 mm) and the other 1 1/4" (30 mm) from the open end.
2. Cut 2 slots on opposite sides of the tin can at the line farthest from the open end. Make slots large enough for the flat stick or piece of metal to pass through.
9. Fill the jar with gasoline and cap tightly
10, Turn can over and place over the jar so that the safety stick rests on the lid of the jar.
3. Punch 2 small holes just below the rim of the open end of the can.
11. pass wire or twine around the bottom of the jar. Thread ends through holes in can and bind tightly to jar.
4. Tape blue tip matches together in pairs. The distance between the match heads should equal the inside diameter of the can. Two pairs are sufficient.
5. Attach paired matches to second and third coils of the spring, using thin wire.
12. Tape wire or cord to jar near the bottom.
Was this article helpful?