NAIL GRENADE Effective fragmentation grenades can be made from a block of TNT or other blasting explosive and nails
^ A Section II
WINE BOTTLE CONE CHARGE This cone charge will penetrate 3 to 4 inchca of armor. Placed on an engine or engine compartment it will disable a tank or other vehicle.
Glaas wine bottle with false bottom (cone shaped) Plaatic or caatable exploaive Blasting cap
Gasoline or Kerosene (small amount) String
I. Soak a piece of string in gasoline or kerosene. Double wrap this string around the wine bottle String approximately 3 in. (7 1/2 cm) above the top of the cone.
NOTE: A imall amount of motor oil added to the gasoline or kerosene will improve results.
2. Ignite the string and allow to burn for 1 to 2 minutes. Then plunge the bottle into cold water to crack the bottle. The top half can now be easily removed and discarded.
3. If plastic explosive is used:
(a) pack explosive into the bottle a little at a time compressing with a wooden rod. Fill the bottle to the top.
(b) press a 1/4 in. wooden dowel 1/2 in. (12mm) into the middle of the top of the explosive charge to form a hole for the blasting cap.
2. Place the charge so that the bottom is 3 to 4 in. (7 1/2 to 10 cm) from the target. Thia can be done by taping legs to the charge or any other convenient means as long as there is nothing between the base of the charge and the target.
3. If electric cap is used, connect blasting cap wires to firing circuit.
Bottom Half of Bottle
4. If TNT or other castable explosive if used: ,
(a) break explosive into small pieces using a wooden mallet or non-sparking metal tools. Place pieces in a tin can.
(b) Suspend thia can in a larger container which is partly filled with water. A stiff wire or stick pushed through the «mailer can will accomplish thia.
NOTE: The effectiveness of this charge can be increased by placing it inside a can, box, or similar container and packing sand or dirt between the charge and the container.
GRENADE-TIN CAN LAND MINE This device can be used as a land mine that will explode when the trip wire Is pulled.
Sturdy container, open at one end, that is just large enough to fit over grenade and ita safety lever (tin can of proper size is suitable). Strong string or wire
NOTE: The container must be of such a size that, when the grenade is placed in it and the safety pin removed, its sides will prevent the safety lever from springing open. One end must be completely open. PROCEDURE:
CAUTION: The inner can must not rest on the bottom of tKe outer container.
1. Fasten one piece of string to the closed end of container, making Suspension a strong connection. This can be
Inner Can uter Can done by punching 2 holes in the can, looping the string through them, and tying a knot.
2. Tie free end of this string to bush, stake, fencepost, etc.
3. Fasten another length of string to the grenade such that it cannot
(c) Heat the container on an electric hot plate or other heat source. Interfere with the functioning of the Stir the explosive frequently with a wooden «tick while it is melting* ignition mechanism of the grenade.
CAUTION: Keep area well ventilated while melting explosive Fumes may be poisonous.
(d) When all the explosive has melted, remove the inner container and stir the molten explosive until it begins to thicken. During this time the bottom half of the wine bottle should be placed in the container of hot water. Thia will pre-heat the bottle to that it will not crack when the explosive it poured.
(e) Remove the bottle from hot water and dry thoroughly. Pour molten explosive into the bottle and allow to cool. The crust which forms on top of the charge during cooling should be broken with a wooden stick and more explosive added. Do this as often at necessary until the bottle is filled to the top.
(f) When explosive has completely hardened, bore a hole for the blasting cap in the middle of the top of the charge about 1/2 in. (12mm) deep.
HOW TO USE:
1. Place blasting cap in the hole in the top of the charge. If nonelectric cap is used be sure cap is crimped around fuze and fuze is long enough to provide safe delay.
4. Insert grenade into container.
4. Insert grenade into container.
String Attached To Can
Was this article helpful?