5. Align. To adjust specified variable elements of an item to bring about optimum or desired performance.
6. Calibrate. To determine and cause corrections to be made or to be adjusted on instruments of test, measuring, and diagnostic equipment used in precision measurement. Consists of comparisons of two instruments, one of which is a certified standard of known accuracy, to detect and adjust any discrepancy in the accuracy of the instrument being compared.
7. Remove/Install. To remove and install the same item when required to perform service or other maintenance functions. Install may be the act of emplacing, seating, or fixing into position a spare, repair part, or module (component or assembly) in a manner to allow the proper functioning of an equipment or system.
8. Replace. To remove an unserviceable item and install a serviceable counterpart in its place. "Replace" is authorized by the MAC and assigned maintenance level is shown as the third position code of the Source, Maintenance and Recoverability (SMR) code.
9. Repair. The application of maintenance services, including fault location/troubleshooting, removal/installation, and disassembly/assembly procedures, and maintenance actions to identify troubles and restore serviceability to an item by correcting specific damage, fault, malfunction, or failure in a part, subassembly, module (component or assembly), end item, or system.
Was this article helpful?