The illustrations show the latest configuration M249 Machine Gun w/Equip. The text covers the new and old style components of the M249 Machine Gun.
Section II. EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION AND DATA
1-7. LOCATION AND DESCRIPTION OF MAJOR COMPONENTS.
1. BARREL ASSEMBLY Houses cartridge for firing and directs projectile.
2. HEATSHIELD ASSEMBLY Provides protection for the operator's hand from a heated barrel.
3. REAR SIGHT ASSEMBLY Rear sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation.
4. COVER AND FEED MECHANISM Feeds linked belt, positions and holds cartridges in position ASSEMBLY for stripping, feeding, and chambering. Optics rail to mount various optics.
6. COCKING HANDLE Pulls the moving parts backwards and moves in a guide rail ASSEMBLY fixed to the right side of the receiver.
7. BUTTSTOCK/BUFFER Contains a folding buttplate. Serves as a shoulder support for ASSEMBLY aiming and firing machine gun. Contains a buffer to absorb recoil (New buttstock/buffer assembly only).
8. BOLT ASSEMBLY Provides feeding, stripping, chambering, firing, and extraction, using the projectile gases for power.
9. SLIDE ASSEMBLY Houses firing pin and roller assembly.
11. RECEIVER ASSEMBLY Serves as a support for all major components. Houses action of weapon and through a series of cam ways, controls functioning of weapon.
12. TRIGGER MECHANISM Controls the firing of the machine gun. Provides storage area ASSEMBLY for lubricant in grip portion.
13. HAND GUARD ASSEMBLY Provides thermal insulation to protect the operator's hands from heat or extreme cold and houses cleaning equipment.
Was this article helpful?