The Machine Gun

a fresh barrel simply knocked the plug out of the bearing as it was inserted in the proper position.

The cover could be lifted to expose the breech lock and recoiling parts. The operator thus had full view of all parts that might need maintenance. As the feeder was housed by the cover, any fault could be easily corrected without delay.

A double safety arrangement gave absolute security against accidental discharge from any conceivable source. This was considered of great importance by the Germans as their maneuvers required machine gun units to drag loaded weapons through thick underbrush.

The rate of fire was fairly low, with a maximum of only 400 to 450 shots per minute. This feature was also felt to be adequate by the Germans, as it was thought that with the Bergmann gun's medium weight any higher cyclic rate would only increase dispersion.

One of the best features was the withdrawing and positioning of ammunition from a belt by an extractor claw arranged on the feed slide. The part was so located that the claw would engage the rim of the incoming cartridge case even when haphazardly belted. This permitted reliable firing of ammunition the linkage of which would prohibit use in other machine guns. The belt itself was constructed of aluminum non-disintegrating links.

Such refinements show the meticulous skill of Theodor Bergmann, who not only designed this fine weapon but had numerous other patents on all types of automatic arms ranging from heavy machine guns to blow-back-opcratcd submachine guns and pistols. His products have always demonstrated the highest degree of skill in the art of gun creation.

The weapon was again modified and issued as the Bergmann machine gun Model 1010. The changes in the basic mechanism were slight, the mount receiving the major alterations.

0 0

Post a comment