Barrel Assembly Latch Plunger Lock. Tube Latch Plunger Feeder Assembly Feeder Lock Plunger Pin Spring Pin
Fee rift r Mounting Pins
Helical Compression Spring (Operating)
Operating Spnng Guid*
Receiver End Plate
End Plate Latch
Drum Group Drum Shaft
Drum Shaft Latch Plunger Drum Cradle Group Pin Nut
Recoil Spring Assembly Slide Assembly Switch Cam Receiver Assembly
20mm Automatic Gun (M39A3) - Major Components and Attaching Parts (Left Hand Gun)
30,000 M39 weapons. In 1955, the second buy for 1640 was given to Cline Electric Co. The industrial responsibility for this particular weapon was given to Rock Island Arsenal, However, during the production orders, there was a continuing product improvement contract at Pontiac under sponsorship of Springfield Armory. Ford and Armour also continued to improve the weapon to include the T160E5 and T160E6 models. Type classification was accomplished in 1953.
In 1954, a contract with Pontiac Motors was negotiated to retrofit all existing guns. In early 1955, the Department of Defense cut back production because of poor reliability of the weapon. Improvements continued up to and including 1959 when solutions to most problems were found.
In 1959, the industrial support mission responsibility for the M39 was transferred from Rock Island Arsenal to Springfield Armory. The Armory periodically fabricated repair parts to support the approximately 31,640 weapons that were manufactured and installed in aircraft (F86, F100, F101, B57). Spare parts supplies now constitute the bulk of activity in this program.
The development of the M39 Machine Gun encompassed many facilities which included Norman McDonald & Co. which designed, developed and fabricated the cartridge charger; Dixon Research, Inc. which developed and produced links; Roy S. Sanford Co. which designed and also developed links; Colt Patent Firearms Co. which studied a number of the gun components; Winchester Repeating Arms Co. which evaluated the design; Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory which conducted cook-off investigations and design activities that eliminated cook-off hazard by the use of ring seals; Frankford Arsenal which developed and fabricated ammunition and Rock Island Arsenal which prepared the Ordnance drawings and initiated the production program.
On December 3,1963, at the request of Colonel C. H. Johnson, Director of Procurement and Production, Hqs, USAWC, Springfield Armory furnished a
Was this article helpful?