Model German Infantry Rifle Right Side View Showing Action Closed

This rifle is not a Mauser. It is included in this book because tremendous quantities were manufactured by Mauser and by Ludwig Loewe and Company who controlled the M user finances, at the time of manufacture.

This rifle was developed by a German Army Commissi an, and Paul Mauser was particularly bitter about its adoption. While the bolt is modified from the original Mauser design, the magazine is a modified Mannlicher, as is much of the rest of the arm.

This rifle used the 7.9 mm cartridge developed by Germany as an outstanding advance in ballistics in its day.

The M. 88 cartridge was used also in Mauser's improved "Gew. 98." In 1905 the case was retained but the bullet diameter was increased. U. S. commercial "8 mm (7.9 mm) Mauser" cartridges may be used.

Modem cartridges of German 7.9 mm military caliber with pointed bullets will chamber in this rifle but are very dangerous to use.

Arms of this type should be loaded only with comparatively low velocity loads expressly manufactured for use in them.

had an upper and a lower side, and the lower side must always enter the magazine first."

Among the other "minor modifications," so called, was the use of front locking lugs on the bolt which provides the most secure breech locking system ever developed.

This system of forward locking lugs had been used in the United States on a breech loading, bolt action, cap-and-ball rifle developed by Colonel J. Durrell Greene of the U. S. Army. This rifle patented November 17, 1857 was unsuccessful because metallic cartridges which would seal the breech against escape of gas had not been perfected at that time.

The Packet-Loading (or Charger-Clip Loading) System

The Mannlicher system of packet loading was introduced to speed up loading, as one motion charged the magazine.

In this Mannlicher system of packet or multiple loading, 5 (or more) cartridges are held together fairly parallel to each other by a clip of sheet metal which covers the rear sides of the cartridges for approximately half their length, and fully encloses and guides the cartridge case heads. The fully loaded clip is placed in the receiver when the bolt has been turned and withdrawn and the clip and cartridges as a unit are pressed into the magazine where they are held down by a latch which engages in a projection on the back of the clip.

In operation, the bolt functioned in approximately the same manner as all the earlier Mauser rifles. When the handle was turned up and drawn back the packet could be inserted. Pushing the bolt forward stripped the top cartridge from between the lips of the clip (or "packet") and chambered it. The extractor snapped into the cannelure of the new cartridge, which was rimless.

After firing, the bolt was raised to unlock, then pulled back to extract and eject the empty case. A spring-controlled follower in the form of a lever was forced up by a spring against the bottom cartridge in the clip. The top and bottom of the clip, while cut away and folded over with lips to retain the cartridges, is open enough to permit the magazine follower to ride up between the clip sides.

This lever acted on by the spring forced each cartridge up successively into line as the bolt was drawn back. When the last cartridge had been driven into the chamber, the clip was free to fall out through a hole cut in the bottom of the magazine well. As long as there were

0 0

Post a comment