Knob of bolt handle is not shown.
After insertion of a cartridge in the feed way, the bolt handle was pushed forward to chamber the cartridge and permit the extractor to snap over the rim of the case.
The bolt handle was then turned down to the right. Since the nose of the cocking-piece was bearing against the bolt cylinder, turning down the bolt handle completed cocking the arm and compressing the striker spring by direct rearward thrust through its cam action.
Note that the shock of discharge is taken principally by the rear locking surface behind the bolt handle.
The bolt handle locks down in front of a rear section of the receiver. This form of locking is used today only in rifles of small caliber and low power because of the great distance between the head of the cartridge and the locking point.
As the bolt is pulled back, the extractor in the face of the bolt draws the empty cartridge case out of the firing chamber with it and strikes it violently against the claw of the ejector causing it to pivot and be hurled out the stop of the breech. This front claw of the ejector projects only when the bolt is drawn all the way back.
Minor modifications of this rifle were made and a short carbine model with wooden forestock extending to the muzzle was also issued.
The German government thought so highly of this new development that they arranged banking assistance and turned the great Oberndorf plant over to the Mauser brothers for manufacture of their rifle and for further development.
Shortly thereafter the Mausers were given additional financial help to produce the rifle in quantity for foreign sale. Thus started the concerted efforts of the German High Command to distribute German arms, and with them German methods, ideology and military thought throughout the world.
Except for comparatively short periods during World Wars I and II, Germany as a matter of military policy from that day on used every means and every effort to infiltrate and eventually direct the equipment and military policies of small Nations throughout the world. The Mauser arms, together with those of Krupp, were the prime products for the world spread of German military thought. By producing only the finest arms and by providing instructors, technicians and tacticians the Germans were able to develop military commissions which blanketed Europe, Asia and South America, where even today German arms and ideologies are paramount
Brother Wilhelm, not being very strong physically, undertook the position of traveling salesman for the organization while Paul supervised the plant. In 1876 they sold 26,000 of these model 71's to China. In 1881 they sold 120,000 to Serbia as indicated in the records of the Mauser company published in the official plant history issued in 1936.
5. MODEL 1873, GERMAN ARMY RIFLE
The 1873 Model is really a converted French Chassepot. At the close of the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 the Prussians seized large quantities of Chassepots.
The breech mechanism was altered to handle the cartridge designed for the 1871 Model Mauser; but the arm is not a Mauser production and should not be confused with the arms of that company. It is listed here merely because many collectors encounter specimens which do not tally with the description given herein of the standard German Model 1871 ; and this notice should serve to provide correct identification.
The 1873 was issued primarily as a cavalry musketoon having an overall length of about 39-inches and a weight of about 8.38 pounds.
An adequate description of the Mauser conversion for the Chassepot has already been given in the patent papers covering the Mauser-Norris 67-69.
Was this article helpful?