The Savage Arms Corporation, of Utica, N. Y. was the development in 1917 of the Savage Arms Company which was organized in 1893 to manufacture a type of hammerless, solid breech, revolving box magazine rifle designed by Arthur Savage, Superintendent of the Utica Street Railway, to handle the .303 Savage cartridge. The cartridge was a smokeless powder one with a jacketed bullet; in power it was greater than the popular .30-30, and approached that of the newr U. S. military cartridge. The Savage rifle appeared in the transition period between large bore with black powder and low velocity and small bore with smokeless powder and high velocity, and the combination of rifle and cartridge gained an immediate hold on public approval.
The first commercial Savage rifle was called the " Model 1895." Its external appearance has been retained to the present day, but during the first four vears of its manufacture modifications occurred in the shape and position of parts of the internal mechanism which seemed to be improvements, and they were combined and adopted for succeeding issues of Savage rifles thereafter called " Model 1899." The interest in Savage repeating rifles centers in this series, shown by pictures Nos. 1 to 4 inclusive. The action is the same for all, and the differences lie in the barrel, chambering, butt, furniture and finish. There is a full-stocked military model and a short
variety called carbine. Ammunition for the Model 1899 runs from .22 hi-power to .38-55 smokeless. The pictures explain the peculiarities of the interesting mechanism.
No. 1 A shows the action closed.
No. 3 shows the ingenious revolving box magazine loaded and empty, which, in essentials of design and mechanics, strongly brings to mind the ancient Roper repeating shotgun.
No. 4, Model 1903, a hammerless .22 calibre rim fire trombone action repeater, with a detachable box magazine holding 7 cartridges. Weight pounds.
No. 5, Model 1904, a single shot bolt action rifle using .22 calibre rim fire ammunition. A boy's gun. Weight 3 pounds.
No. 6y Model 1905, the same as Model 1904 but with larger barrel and, if desired, a Swiss butt plate.
Model 1909, the same as Model 1903, but shorter and lighter. Not shown.
No. 7, Model 1911, a bolt action tubular magazine repeater for .22 short rim fire cartridges. The magazine tube, in the butt, holds 20 cartridges. Shown in longitudinal section.
No. 8, Model 1912, an automatic box magazine repeater using .22 long rifle cartridges and weighing only 4^ pounds. Magazine holds 7 cartridges.
No. P, Mewfe/ iP/4, a hammerless .22 calibre repeater with trombone action and tubular magazine holding 15 long rifle or 20 short cartridges.
No. 10, Model 1919, N. R. A. Rifle. Calibre .22, long rifle. Especially adapted for National Rifle Association competitions, it .follows as closely as possible the lines, size, balance and action of the regular military rifle, and yet has a specially designed rear sight with micrometer screw adjustments for elevation and windage, with click indicators.
Plate 48—Stevens Rifles stevens *
The J. Stevens Company was started in 1864 to manufacture pistols and pocket rifles. Mr. Stevens had been employed by the Massachusetts Arms Company, particularly in connection with the Wesson & Leavitt revolver, and its successor, the Mass. Arms Co. revolver designed by him, and was an expert in the manufacture of hand firearms.
The manufacture of Stevens rifles began about 1875. In 1886 the J. Stevens Co. was incorporated under the name of the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company, and its capacity greatly increased. Since then it has issued a great variety of hand and shoulder arms, machine made, mostly of inexpensive models, but of admirable shooting qualities.
In 1915 the plant was purchased by the New England Westinghouse Company for the purpose of producing military arms in great quantities to supply the demands of the war.
United States military rifles Model 1917, and heavy Browning Machine Rifles, were its principal output during the World War.
No. i, " Hunters' Pet." With 24-inch barrel this rifle weighed about 6$ pounds. The ammunition was .32, .38, and .44 rim and center fire. The price, which was rather high for the time, ran from $18.00 for the one with 18-inch barrel to $21.00 for the one
with 24-inch barrel; this indicates that the Hunters' Pet was intended to be accurate and serviceable. The breech of the barrel when released by pressure upon a stud in the right side of the frame tipped up to extract and be loaded. As the catch spring soon lost a portion of its strength, and as the axis screw of the barrel and the sides of the frame adjacent to it soon permitted growing looseness, the barrel after a very little use was wobbly in the frame. Howrever, as the rear sight was fixed on the barrel, and as the barrel was heavy, accurate shooting still was possible; and the ease with which the arm could be taken apart for packing in a small space and the extreme simplicity of the make-up induced users of this type of arm to overlook its shortcomings. The weight, however, was another matter; and on account of continual criticism the Hunters' Pet wras soon succeeded by lighter and also less expensive issues of the same general design. It disappeared from the market about 1888.
No. 2, 11 New Model Pocket Rifle" The stud for releasing the barrel catch was transferred to the left side of the frame so as to be used by the thumb. The whole arm was a diminutive, its weight with 10-inch barrel being only 2 pounds. The ammunition was .22 and .32 rim fire.
No. 3, "Reliable Pocket Rifle." This was the Diamond Model pistol with long barrel and adjustable skeleton stock.
No. 4y New Model Pocket or Bicycle Rifle. This variant of the "Hunters' Pet" weighed but 2f pounds with 18-inch barrel and used .22, .25, and .32 rim fire cartridges.
No. 5, " Sure ShotIntended especially for the use of boys and women. Used .22 and .32 rim fire cartridges. The barrel was fastened to the frame on a vertical pivot and the breech could be swung horizontally to the right to extract and load. Discontinued about 1898.
No. 7. These pictures show two of a series of similar rifles, the manufacture of which began about 1875 and ceased about 1900. All were of tip-up action and used the same kind of frame; the differences lay in the butt, sights, trigger guard, and finish. Sixteen kinds were issued, each with an alluring name such as u Expert," " Premier," " Ladies," etc. Calibres were from .22 to .44, barrel lengths from 24 to 36 inches; weights from 5§ to 10J pounds.
No. 8, u Mayruird JuniorSome of the features of'the. Maynard rifle were embodied in the action of this toy tip-up rifle. Discontinued about 1910.
No. 9, " Little Scout." This toy, which retailed for $1.80, is interesting only as a study of how cheaply a rifle can be made and still be safe to use.
No. 10, " MarksmanA variant on The Maynard Junior, tip-up.
No. 11 y 11 Crack Shot" Discontinued about 1910.
No. 12, 41 Little Krag." A fairly successful attempt at extreme simplicity and cheapness in bolt action for .22 cartridges.
The tiny rifles just mentioned were put on the market in a period when the custom was being stimulated by periodicals of permitting, or encouraging, children to learn to shoot. The rapid introduction by this company and others of so many different models was doubtless a mere business device, as it is easier to sell to a boy an arm described as " the latest thing out " than it is to sell him one such as his chum has worn out. To the mechanician and the adult arms user their only interest lies in their extreme simplicity; every last thing that could be eliminated and still have functioning and safety was discarded.
No. 1, 11 Ideal." The series having the basic name " Ideal/' and starting with the serial number 44, was first produced in 1894, and issued for 9 years. The mechanism was then slightly modified and called 44^ and the series continued. The cuts show the plain sporting model and its revised mechanism. This action was embodied in a wide variety of styles of barrels and stocks which were elaborated as to shape and finish; and to the old names of il Expert/' and " Ladies' Model," were added such other attractive ones as " Modern Range," l< Walnut Hill," " English Model/7 " Semi-military," " Scheutzen,"
—Stevens Rifles etc. This series held the Stevens Company's best output.
No. 2, " Favorite This scries was a junior, or smaller model of the Ideal. It was put on the market at about the same time as the larger one, to use rim fire ammunition in .22, .25, and .32 calibres.
No. 3, u Visible LoaderMade for .22 ammunition only. I is novel feature was a magazine tube and breech block in one piece operated by the backward and forward movement of the sliding fore end.
No. 3 A shows the visible loader with a cartridge sliding up the channel in the face of the breech block and makes the mechanical features self-evident.
No. 4t " Repeating GalleryThis was an attempt at a bolt action operated by a sliding fore end. Unsuccessful. Discontinued immediately.
No. 5, " High Powerr Made for .25, 30-30, .32, and .35 smokeless cartridges. The only feature of interest is the cocking of the hammer by leverage instead of by the thrust of the breech bolt.
No. 5 A shows the mechanism open, and
No. 5 B shows it closed.
The Winchester Repeating Arms Company was organized in 1866. The rifles first produced by it were the outgrowth of experiments with preceding repeating arms, and the beginning of a Winchester rifle antedated the first real Winchester by more than a decade and a half.
About 1850, Tyler Henry, an expert mechanic, wras employed by Robbins & Lawrence of Windsor, Vt., to oversee the work upon the Jennings magazine gun. The Jennings rifle used hollow7, loaded bullets carried in a tubular magazine below the barrel, fed to the barrel by the action of a ratchet operated by a ring trigger which had a forward and backward slide of about 3", and fired by a Maynard Tape primer held in a priming magazine on the top of the frame. From the ideas embodied in the Jennings rifle, combined wTith those patented in 1851 by Horace Smith, Mr. Henry evolved another arm wrhich used primed and loaded bullets fed from the magazine to the barrel by the movement of the trigger guard used as a lever.
This design was purchased by Messrs. Smith & Wesson, of Norwich, Conn., and modified and patented by them in 1851 and 1854; and Mr. Henry, working for them, superintended the manufacture of Smith & Wesson repeating rifles and pistols for about five years. In 1855 Messrs. Smith & Wesson, having decided to make cartridge revolvers loading at the rear of the cylinder, and desiring to give their
whole effort to revolvers, sold the rights to their repeating arms.
The purchasers organized as the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company of New Haven, Conn. Mr. Henry was an employee of the new company. The principal owner was O. F. Winchester, of the firm of Winchester & Davis, shirt manufacturers of New Haven. The Volcanic Repeating Arms Company substituted bronze for iron, as much as possible, in their arms, and specialized on hand instead of shoulder arms. During 1855 and 1856 they accumulated a stock which far exceeded the demand, and had to reorganize.
In 1857 their goods reappeared under the name of the New Haven Arms Company. Mr. Henry still was superintendent. The president and principal owner was the Oliver F. Winchester, who, from being a stock-holder in the preceding companies, then first publicly appeared as a manufacturer of arms. During the first few years of the life of the new company, Mr. Henry gave much of his time to experiments for the improvement of the arms, the ammunition of which had become obsolete.
In 1860 the New Haven Arms Company abandoned the manufacture of rifles and pistols using loaded bullets and bent their efforts upon the production of rifles only — Henry rifles, which used rim fire copper cartridges. The ammunition being a novelty, the company manufactured that too and adopted for a trademark the letter " H " (for Henry) stamped upon the heads of the shells. The Win-
Chester Company still uses that symbol on rim fire ammunition.
The New Haven Arms Company from 1860 until the end of its career made only one style of Henry rifle, although it ran the gamut from the plainest grade to the most elaborately ornamented and expensive; the weight was about 10 pounds, the barrel was 24" long, the calibre was .44. The cartridge held 25 grains of powder and a conical bullet of about half ounce weight —216 grains. The Henry barrel was bored cal. .42, rifled with 6 grooves each about .005 deep, making the actual calibre .43, to use a bullet of cal. .44. The grooves had an increasing — called a " gain " twist — beginning at the breech with one turn in 16 feet and ending at the muzzle with one turn in 2f feet.
The Henry rifle was considerably in use during the Civil War — a sporting rifle privately purchased to the extent of about 10,000 by entire companies and regiments of state troops in federal service. Although, even in sporting model by far the best military rifle in the world, the U. S. Government would not buy it. Lack of large funds and of government patronage held the company from expanding to fill its orders, which exceeded by about twenty times the possibilities of manufacture. During and after the war valuable testimonials of " Henry " service were written by the commanders of troops that with it defeated enemy troops many times outnumbering them.
Major Cloudman of the 1st D. C. Cavalry, in a letter to Mr. Winchester, said that when he was held in Libby Prison he often heard the enemy discuss the merits of Henry rifles, and he heard one of them vsay, ''Give us anything but that damned Yankee rifle that can be loaded Sunday and fired all the week."
Capt. Wilson of Co. M., 12th Kentucky Cavalry, wrhile visiting his home, learned of a plot to kill him. So he kept his Henry rifle across the road from his front door in a corn-crib, which he purposed using as a refuge. One day while dining with his family the captain was surprised by seven mounted guerillas. Capt. Wilson exclaimed, " If you wrish to murder me don't do it at my own table in the presence of my family." The guerillas consented to his going out of doors to be shot. The moment he reached the front door he sprang for his shelter and the guerillas commenced firing at him. He reached the corn-crib, seized his Henry rifle, and with five shots killed five of them. The other two sprang for their horses. As the sixth man threw his hand over the pommel of his saddle the sixth shot took off all four of his fingers; notwithstanding, he got into his saddle, but the seventh shot killed him. Then, starting out, Capt. Wilson killed the seventh man with the eighth shot. In consequence of this feat the State of Kentucky armed his company with Henry rifles.
Col. J. T. Wilder, 5th Div. 14th Army Corps, stated, " My Brigade of Mounted Infantry has repeatedly routed and driven largely superior forces of rebels, in some instances five or six times our number. Since using the Henry wre have never been driven a single rod by any kind of force or number of the enemy. I believe the Henry rifles to be the best arms for army use that I have ever seen."
Criticism, however, is sometimes more helpful than praise. Major J. S. Baker, in a letter dated from the field before Richmond, Jan. 20,1865, wrote: " But notwithstanding my high opinion of this arm when in the hands of dismounted men, I do not think it a suitable weapon for cavalry. I consider it too heavy; the coil spring used in the magazine is also liable in the cavalry to become foul with sand and mud, and this, for the time being, renders the arm unserviceable.7'
This voicing of an undeniable fault turned a Henrv rifle into a Winchester. Mr. Winchester bought the patent of Nelson King for loading the magazine through a gate in the frame, and was thereby enabled to furnish magazine tubes without an opening on the exterior through which the coiled spring could become dirt-clogged.
In 1866 the New Haven Arms Company, disorganized, reappeared as The Winchester Repeating Arms Company, located in Bridgeport, Conn., where it stayed until 1870, when it moved to new buildings in New Haven. From 1866 to 1873 it issued only one model of rifle, the Winchester Model 1866, using 44-28-200 r.f. ammunition having an initial velocity of only 1,125 f.s., and differing from the Henry only in the extractor, the closed magazine tube, and the loading gate in the right side of the frame. In 1869 the Winchester Company purchased the patents and property of the American Repeating Rifle Company — formerly the Fogcrty Rifle Company of Boston — and in 1870 it bought the patents and property of the Spencer Repeating Rifle Company. The machinery of these two companies was moved to New Haven; the patents, most of them, were of more legal than industrial value.
The second model of Winchester rifle was the Model 1873. During the first, two years of its production it differed from the Model 1866 mainly in the kind of cartridge it used, a center fire brass shell holding 40 grains of powder and a .44 calibre 200-grain conical bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1325 f.s. This became the famous " Forty-four-forty " cartridge, which, in the days of old in the Far West, killed more game and savages than all others together of that time. In 1875 the Model 1873 rifle was provided with a sliding lid to the opening in the top of the frame, the frame was made of iron as well as of brass, and calibres other than .44 were issued. Also in 1875 the Winchester Company began making cartridges for arms of other makers.
The third variety of Winchester rifle was the Model 1876. This was merely the Model 1873 made larger and stronger so as to handle safely ammunition of greater range and power than the old 44-40. The manufacture of Model 1876 rifles was discontinued in 1897.
In 1876, at the Philadelphia Centennial, Mr. B. B. Hotchkiss, an American inventor, exhibited a model or sample bolt action repeating rifle. This arm caused so much comment, and was the subject of so much attention by Ordnance officers, as to lead American arms makers to think that it might be the coming gun. The Winchester Company bought the right to manufacture it, and then found it to be partly undeveloped. Two years of experimenting were ncccssary to perfect it. It was then tried by the U. S. Ordnance Board of 1878 and found satisfactory, and later ordered for the U. S. army in both carbine and rifle sizes. Meantime it was put on the market and called Model 1879 as a sporting arm in both plain and fancy grades, using, as did the two military patterns, the U. S. Government regulation 45-70-405 ammunition. A few years later it appeared as Model 1883 with a metal frame and an indicator on one side and a magazine cut-off on the other. Hotchkiss rifles, however, never attained the wide popularity expected, and the company soon stopped making them.
About this time the now celebrated arms inventor, John M. Browning, first established relations w;th this company by selling to it his invention of 1879 for a breech mechanism for a single shot rifle. This rifle became the Winchester Single Shot, and from the time the first one was put on the market in 1885 to the present day the Winchester Co. has been one of Mr. Browning's best customers. In fact, barring the Lee Straight Pull and three recoil operated rifles, Browning-Winchester correctly designates almost all of the company's other arms.
These data cover the origin and development of
Plate 51.—Winchester Rifles
the W. R. A. Co.; data of more recent interest arc contained in their catalogues.
winchester sporting repeating rifles
Plates 50 and 51
No. i, Model 1866. Bronze frame, open on top. Manufacture ceased about 1885. In 1866 it used only .44-28 200 rim fire copper shell ammunition; a few years later it was adapted to the .44 pointed (26-200), and the .44 flat (23-200); these two cartridges were developed for the Colt revolver as well as the '66 Winchester rifle. The sporting 1866 weighed 9 to pounds; the barrel was 24 inches long whether round or octagonal; the magazine was full length and held 16 cartridges; the retail price in the Eastern States was $22 and $23, the former price being for the round barrel rifle.
No. 1 A, Mechanism of Model 1866 Rifle.
No. 2, Model 1873. Until 1875 it was made with a bronze frame open on top; after that date, when iron was substituted for bronze in both the frame and the butt plate, the opening in the top of the frame was provided with a lid which could be slid forward by hand to cover it. When issued in 1873 this model was made only for the .44-40-200 center fire brass shell cartridge, sometimes called the " W. C. F.,M but more commonly called the " Forty-four-forty." About 1885 the first change was made in its calibre; from then on it was made in a wide variety of calibres and styles; some of them long ago abandoned. The Forty-four-forty Model 1873 killed more game and men, the latter both red and white, than any other rifle.
No. 2Ay Mechanism, open, of Model 1873 Rifle; also of the 1866, which was identical in principle. Also this was the mechanism of the Henry Rifle. An admirable combination of parts for the low power ammunition of the time.
No. 3y Model 1883, Hotchkiss. The several sporting patterns, having barrels of varying lengths and both round and octagonal, and having butts of several shapes, all used the U. S. Gov't. 45-70-405 ammunition. The magazine tube was contained in the butt, reached for loading by drawing back the bolt; it held 5 cartridges; they were inserted head first and pressed rearward. There was a magazine cut off on the right and a bolt lock on the left. The specimen shown has a metal frame interposed between the barrel and the butt; a number of these arms made a year or two earlier were made with the wood in one continuous piece from butt to fore end tip. Hotchkiss arms ceased about 1900.
No. 3Ay Mechanism of the Hotchkiss Rifle. The good points of this design are at the present time embodied in bolt action rifles. The faults of the Hotchkiss wrere slowness of loading, whereby as a repeater it could be fired only about a dozen times a minute; and constantly shifting balance as the ammunition slid forward.
No. 4, Model 1886. This was Browning's patent, designed to handle more powerful ammunition than the models '73 and '76. It was the strongest lever action repeating rifle on the market. It was adapted to a wide range of cartridges running between .38-55 and .50-110-300.
No. 4 A, Mechanism of Model 1886. The most interesting novelty is the means of locking the breech bolt strongly. The cut indicates plainly the two auxiliary bolts which operate vertically in grooves in the frame and in corresponding grooves each side of the breech bolt.
No. 5, Model 1890. Designed to use .22 rim fire ammunition exclusively. This was the first Winchester gun operated by a sliding fore end, commonly called the 14 Trombone Action " gun.
No. 5 A, Mechanism of the Model 1890. This device was an old one, recorded in England as early as 1854, and in use in America by the Colt Co. from 1884. J. M. Browning, the patentee, modified and improved the existing forms. The object, of course, in this sort of mechanism was rapidity of fire.
No. 6, Model 1894. This arm was designed to handle the more powerful of the black powder cartridges, such as the .32-40 and .38-55» and the medium calibre smokeless cartridges such as .25-35-86, .30-170 and .32-170.
No. 6 A, Mechanism of the Model 1894. This is a modification, patented by Mr. Browning, of the
Model 1886, affording, perhaps, greater resistance to recoil by means of the additional tie bolt between the bottom of the locking bolt and the front end of the frame.
No. 7, Model 1895. This lever action box magazine gun was designed by Mr. Browning to meet the bolt action box magazine gun in even competition — or better it. The magazine took 5 cartridges; the gun was adapted to .30 U. S., .303 British, .38-72-275, and .40-72-330.
No. 7 A, Mechanism of Model 1895. The strong and vSafe locking system seems to be shown with sufficient detail not to need description. The magazine was loaded with cartridges one at a time, and not 5 at a time from a clip.
No. 8, Model 1897. Called the Lee Straight Pull. Adapted from the navy rifle designed by James Paris Lee and adopted by the U. S. Gov't. Calibre 6 mm (.236 inch). Smokeless powrder, tin plated, copper jacket, hard lead bullet having 2,550 foot seconds initial velocity. The feature of the mechanism is a straight pull to the rear instead of the customary turn up and pull back. Never a popular arm. Manufacture discontinued after a few years.
No. 8 Ay Mechanism of Model 1897. Loads with a clip of 5 cartridges inserted with one movement; this, together with the simplicity of the bolt movement, put it in the rapid fire class. The bolt locking and holding design was, however, of immature development, and there may have been grounds for the claim that the gun was unsafe, and there certainly were grounds for the claim that the bolt occasionally fell out at unexpected times. The bolt was held in place when closed by a latch which was released by the pull on the handle. The latch, however, was not intended to stand the full force of the recoil, and to this end a lug on the bolt and a corresponding lug on the frame diverted the rearward thrust from backwards to downwards. There are elements in this design that should be revised and corrected and again offered to the public in an improved bolt action arm.
No. 9, Model 1903. Automatic, calibre .22, using a specially designed rim fire cartridge.
No. PA, Mechanism of Model 1903. Showing that the magazine, which held 10 cartridges, was in the butt.
No, 10, Model 1905. Automatic, for special .32 and .35 smokeless powder ammunition.
No. 10 A, Mechanism of Model 1905. Showing that this rifle was adapted to a box magazine but was otherwise like that of Model 1903. These two rifles, together with Models 1907 and 1910, all operated on the same principle, that of a movable counterbalance. It was not new, but these four rifles were the first to use it successfully. The breech bolt, not locked to take the shock of recoil, was operated by a mass of movable metal, proportioned in weight to the weight of the bullet and the amount of thrust rearward, so that the thrust was partly utilized in overcoming the inertia of the counterbalance and the remainder was hardly more than enough to operate the mechanism. The counterbalance was contained in the hollow fore-end.
From this list, a complete one of all the radically different mechanisms of Winchester repeating sporting rifles which have been put on the market, either Model 1866 or Model 1873 could have been omitted because of their similarity; Model 1873 was described and illustrated merely because it had such extraordinary popularity in the years of long ago that it will always be of interest.
A complete list of Winchester sporting repeating rifles contains many not detailed by description or picture, because they were merely slight variants of preceding models. For instance: — Model 1876 was Model 1873 with larger and stronger parts. Model 1892 was Model 1886 with smaller parts. Model 1906 was Model 1900 revised. And Models 1907 and 1910 were Model 1905 adapted respectively to .351 and .401 special ammunition. Such arms are of individual rather than general interest.
winchester single shot rifles
No. 1, Called the "Winchester Single Shot," — J. M. Browning's patent of 1879 — was first issued in 1885. The mechanism was a modification of the Sharps' together with a combination of the good
—Winchester Single Shot features of several others. This action with different stocks and barrels was used in several varieties; they can hardly be called " models." The first Schuetzen was issued in 1897. In 1908 the mechanism was modified by substituting for the former flat mainspring underneath the barrel a coiled one attached to the breech block, and by changing the fly so as to leave the hammer at half cock when closing the action. At that time also a " take-down " device was provided, and the frame was thinned, lightened, and somewhat changed in outline. An early, unmodified specimen is shown by picture No. 5 on Plate 15.
No. 2 was called a 14 musket," and was intended for armory practice, by militia, with .22 calibre ammunition.
No. 3 was the fancy edition of the sporting rifle, this particular specimen on account of its heavy barrel and peep and globe sights being intended for target use rather than game shooting.
No. 4 shows the mechanism, or action, as it is more commonly called, as it was made prior to 1908.
No. 5 shows the mechanism, take-down device included, as it is made at present.
No. 6 is the Scheutzen variety, good, as illustrated, only for target work; but by changing the butt plate and the sights and removing the palm rest it can be used as a heavy weight hunting rifle.
In 1900 this firm began the issue of a radically different type of rifle, also Mr. Browning's patent; an inexpensive, catch-penny affair intended for boys and people of small means; good also to tuck into a small space in a canoe or an automobile. So cheap that if ruined the first season the matter would be of no consequence; yet capable of accurate work at very short range. In 1902 it was discarded and reissued slightly more attractive in external appearance. In 1904 the same thing in a trifle better grade was issued, and along with it one made without a trigger guard and provided with a push button on top of the grip in lieu of a trigger.
No. 7 shows the Model 1904, and
No. 8 shows the thumb trigger variant.
Was this article helpful?