WARNING: This .sequence must he followed exactly as spelled out. Failure to do so can result in the rifle's chamber becoming unintentionally loaded with a cartridge!
1. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times and keep the fingers outside the trigger guard. Move the safety to the "ON" position.
2. Remove the magazine. REMEMBER that even though the magazine has been removed, a cartridge remaining in the chamber can still be fired!
3. Pull the slide handle all the way to the rear, extracting and ejecting the cartridge in the chamber. When the bolt is fully retracted, push down on the bolt lock plunger and then allow the slide to move forward until it comes to rest against the bolt stop.
4. Always visually double check the chamber to be certain it is empty.
5. The only "safe" rifle is one in which the bolt is open and the chamber and magazine are empty.
Was this article helpful?