You must secure firearms safely from children and/or unauthorized users. Your firearm should always be kept unloaded and locked when not in use. A lock has been provided for this purpose. Never assume that the use of this lock is sufficient to safely secure your firearm. You must always evaluate your personal situation and employ the security system(s) that meets your needs and prevents children and unauthorized users from gaining access to your firearm.
• APPROPRIATE USE FOR YOUR FIREARM MEANS USING YOUR FIREARM FOR LEGAL PURPOSES.
For example - target shooting and lawful resistance of deadly criminal force. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are in compliance with all applicable laws and ordinances regarding the use of your firearm.
• NEVER RELY ON MECHANICAL FEATURES
ALONE. Only your safe gun-handling habits will ensure the safe use of your firearm. This is your responsibility.
• ALWAYS SAFELY STORE AND SECURE YOUR FIREARM. Safe and secure storage of your firearm is one of your most important responsibilities. It is a full-time responsibility. You must always secure your firearm and ammunition separately so that they are not accessible to children and/or other unauthorized persons.
• NEVER KEEP AMMUNITION IN THE SAME LOCATION AS THE HANDGUN. Store each in a separate and secure place.
• ALWAYS WEAR EYE AND EAR PROTECTORS THAT ARE SPECIFIED FOR FIREARM USE every time you discharge your firearm. Make sure others in the vicinity of where you will be shooting do so as well.
• NEVER USE ALCOHOL OR DRUGS BEFORE OR WHILE SHOOTING. Do not use your firearm if you are on any medication which impairs, even slightly, your mental or physical ability.
• ALWAYS HAVE ADEQUATE VENTILATION.
Discharging firearms in poorly ventilated areas, cleaning firearms, or handling ammunition may result in exposure to lead and other substances known to cause birth defects, reproductive harm, and other serious physical injury. Review the warnings and labels for all ammunition and cleaning products carefully. Wash hands thoroughly after exposure.
• BEFORE HANDLING ANY FIREARM, UNDERSTAND ITS OPERATION. Not all firearms are the same. Familiarize yourself with the mechanical features of any firearm you intend to use. If you feel uncertain about any operational aspects of your handgun, please contact Smith & Wesson at 1-800-331-0852 before proceeding with its operation.
• NEVER ALLOW A FIREARM TO BE USED BY INDIVIDUALS WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND ITS SAFE OPERATION OR HAVE NOT READ THESE FIREARM SAFETY RULES.
• ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT AMMUNITION FOR YOUR PARTICULAR FIREARM as indicated by the marking on the barrel. Never use non-standard, reloaded, or "handloaded" ammunition which has not been subjected to internal ballistic pressure testing.
• BE SURE ALL ACCESSORIES, SUCH AS HOLSTERS AND GRIPS, ARE COMPATIBLE with the handgun and that the accessories do not interfere with safe operation.
• NEVER DISASSEMBLE YOUR HANDGUN beyond the field stripping procedure outlined in this manual. Improper disassembly or reassembly of your handgun may be dangerous and can lead to serious injury or death.
• NEVER MANIPULATE, ADJUST OR CHANGE ANY OF THE INTERNAL COMPONENTS OF YOUR FIREARM including the firing pin, sear, or drawbar. Improper manipulation of any internal component may affect the safety and reliability of your firearm and may cause serious injury or death.
• NEVER ALLOW ANY ALTERATION OR REPLAC-MENT OF PARTS IN YOUR SMITH & WESSON FIREARM UNLESS PERFORMED BY A QUALIFIED GUNSMITH using genuine Smith & Wesson parts. If you do otherwise, improper functioning of your firearm may occur and serious injury or death may result.
A WARNING: SAFE USE OF A FIREARM IS YOUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY AND THE FAILURE TO FOLLOW ALL OF THESE BASIC SAFETY RULES MAY RESULT IN SEVERE PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH TO YOU OR OTHERS. YOU ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT SAFETY DEVICE WHEN IT COMES TO THE USE OF YOUR FIREARM AND SMITH & WESSON WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH OR PROPERTY DAMAGE THAT RESULTS FROM: (1) THE CRIMINAL OR NEGLIGENT USE OF THIS HANDGUN; (2) A DISREGARD OF THESE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS; (3) IMPROPER OR CARELESS HANDLING OF THIS FIREARM; (4) THE USE OF NON-STANDARD, DEFECTIVE, IMPROPER OR RELOADED AMMUNITION; OR (5) IMPROPER OR NEGLIGENT MODIFICATIONS OR REPAIRS TO THE HANDGUN.
Was this article helpful?